Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Get (Off) On The Bus

This has been a plain crappy Rocktober. Seriously Billy, what the hell? Let’s play a tiny bit of catch up.

Rocktober Song of the Day: “Third Uncle” by Brian Eno.

It’s been some rough times kids, he said with a solemn look to his eyes, a sly smile to offset it a little. But I’m tired of friggin’ talking about it. I seem to be better in my head, and I’m hoping that throwing those words out don’t come back to slap me on the ass.

Rocktober Song of the Day: “Strange” by Wire

Yesterday, I rode the bus into work, through the cold, through the dark, and not soaking in that rolling feeling in my stomach of desperation and hated anger. I was listening to some Virgil Shaw – so very nice. It wasn’t up terribly loud so I could hear the bus driver calling the stops. These calls usually begin with the amplified sound of the driver pulling over the flexi arm of the microphone, sounding like a metal Satan unfurling his metal penis. And yeah, after that you expect a bus stop called with some gusto: “California and Faunt – la – fuckin’ – roy bitches!” But the driver yesterday morning whispered out the stops.

Rocktober Song of the Day: “Serpentine Pad” by Pavement

I thought this was funny at first. Maybe the bus driver was just putting a little style into her routine. Then as it continued to happen I began to think that maybe she was coming on to us, as if the subtext to a hushed “28th and Thistle” was “hey babies, who wants a good time?” I continued to think this was funny. I mean in my mind, she wanted all of us, possibly particularly the girl who wears short skirts even when it’s October cold out. Seriously, she was gonna pull that rig over for some serious good times, I could hear it in the excited sigh that was “16th and Roxbury”. For some reason, this whispering was really catching me as funny. Not so much when I think back on it and realize the rational was probably laryngitis and that she was in pain.

Who am I kidding, still funny.

Rocktober Song of the Day: “Hang Me Out To Dry” by Cold War Kids

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay Bill... I am going to propose something radical here and while at first you will hate me for it, I think it will be a happy medium for you.

Twitter.

There I said it. Now you may have heard about Twitter from Mandy or Chuck or from my awesome magazine http://LEGENDmag.net/thelegendonline/2008/03/07/its-twitter-stupid but the fact of the matter is that twitter could be awesome for you.

Some of the rules as to why this will rule for you:
1. Tweets (twitter messages) can only be 140 characters in length. Read: quick and easy (like your mom)
2. You can send tweets from your mobile phone. (stick it to the man by sending them from work!)
3. You can use twitter to, say... announce the rocktober song of the day! (and think how much that will make all of us happy!?)
4. With twitter AND a blog, you can post small thoughts as they happen, and big thoughts when you have time! (seriously, we all need more daily bill)
5. You can subscribe to a few key friend's twitter accounts (mine's www.twitter.com/exkclamation). (So you can keep in touch with your good friends without having to spend time calling them or visiting!)

to sign up:
1. go to twitter.com
2. click "get started--join"
3. make up a good username, fill in the blanks
4. skip the "add friends crap"
5. start typing messages.
6. then add twitter to your phone
7. click settings > devices then type your mobile phone # and check the okay box
8. follow instructions to get phone loaded (add your #, wait for verification code on phone, text the verification code to 40404)
9. start twittering from your phone

You can follow whomever you like, and people who like you can follow you. And poof... we now get our daily (or hourly) Bill-fix!

If you want to recieve other people's twitters on your phone, just follow them and turn device updates on.

Some rules of twitter:

"@username message" is a publically readable message directed at a particular twitter user. for example if you wanted to respond to a mesage I wrote about beans, you would type "@exkclamation you are a beaner"

"d username message" is a direct message to a person. this will not be seen by anyone but you and them.

Use your 140 character wisely!


PS. Tell Beth she needs to do this too. And she can download the AWESOME iPhone client called Twitterriffic too!! (it's free and available for mac too)

mandy said...

clearly the 140 character limit has kc! feeling a little constrained.

Unknown said...

The caffeine I drank this morning didn't help either.

Anonymous said...

Rocktober suggestion:
On the Bus-Replacements

Billy Badgley said...

Damn you anonymous, I should have thought of that!