Friday, May 09, 2008

Know Your Audience

It’s an important lesson to learn, to know your audience. One of the benefits of tailoring your delivery to the audience is knowing you have a better shot of having your message listened to.

Yeah, knowing you audience… For instance, I don’t want to walk into a meeting with my manager, HR generalist, directors and VP’s and let loose with a barrage of dick and fart jokes. It works here at Billy Cleans His Plate (I feel I know this audience), but in the confines of the business world, it ain’t gonna fly.

Another for instance for ya, you might not want to, in a same sort of meeting as above, pretend to French kiss a coworker on a stage in front the entire group. As I did. “That’s how I roll, now they know that,” I said, a little cavalier to be sure. But in the back of everyone’s mind I will forever be the guy who practically dry humped a coworker in a meeting. Which isn’t necessarily the guy I DON’T want to be, but it might make me a questionable candidate later down the road.
Again, depending on the audience.

And here’s my point, well one point that I’m sharing with this audience; I feel Coors does not know their audience.

I was walking to work and spied a billboard designed to advertise Coors Light. Apparently, the good people at Coors have developed some sort of contraption on the top of their Coors Light cans that provide a “smooth pour”. Now I gotta say that the majority of Coors Light drinkers aren’t going to give two flying fucks alongside a bullfrog blowing an anteater whether or not they get a “smooth pour” from their can of beer water. It seems to me that the majority of Coors Light drinkers don’t much care about beer period; if they did, they wouldn’t be drinking Coors Light. It seems to me that there are only four reasons to be drinking Coors Light.

1) You don’t know any better.
2) You’re sixteen and it’s what your over 21 year old acquaintance, or friend with a fake ID, got.
3) It’s free.
4) You plan on steady drinking can after can of beer for an extended period of time and are still concerned with your girlish figure.

I might go so far as to say that anyone drinking a can of beer (and man, I like me a can of beer from time to time) aren’t concerned with how that beer comes out the can, except to make sure a majority of it gets down the gullet and not all over the ground.

Coors, know your audience.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Good points, all. On the opposite end of that spectrum, however, are those Stella Artois commercials where the bartender unhooks the lounge car of a moving train so that it will stop shaking and he can then provide an acceptably smooth pour for his oh-so-discerning customer, the tagline for which should be something like "Stella Artois: Beer for pretentious douchebags."

Moderation in all things, I guess.