Tuesday, September 04, 2007

A Line In The Sand

Hey everyone look, it’s September! The weather today even feels all autumnal (I just popped wood using the word autumnal) today; damp and dark, and I don’t know, I’m down with it.

As has been duly noted, I love me some fall, and I am looking forward to a hard chill and woodsy smell to the air, to sweaters and heavy coats, but mostly to the fall cooking. Again it’s time for soups and breads and pies and hearty things that warm the apartment and steam to cold windows.

But before all that, before we get all hyper excited about the things to come, I wanna sit and relish the final dash of summer we had this weekend.

Saturday, we decided to get on out into the world being it was sunny and we had nothing else to do. We went out to Snoqualmie Falls, which was actually quite a bit more awe inspiring than I thought it was going to be. Kickers seemed to be enjoying himself, laughing that laugh that is the heroin/avian bird flu of the laughter world; so contagious and so addicting that it should be listed with any variety of state and federal bureaus. It was the sort of laughter that he just becomes overwhelmed and starts pumping his fists like the newest prize fighting champ. He was strapped to my back for awhile and when he realized that it was me there under him, he squealed with delight and yanked on what remains of my hair. I know it sounds annoying and painful, but it was adorable.

And that’s the end of the “how cute the baby is” section of today’s posting. I’m sorry, but the kid is cute. Lucky too, or I would have sold him for hooch awhile ago…

In another Twin Peaks related weekend visit, we then made our way over to North Bend to have lunch at Twede’s Diner, whose outside was used for the diner shots in the show Twin Peaks. There was no jukebox playing reverb heavy guitar instrumentals, no place lost in time feel, and the waitresses did not look like Madchen Amick or Peggy Lee. There was not a lot to the place for me to recommend eating there aside from the railroad tracks behind it, from which you got a great view of Mt. Si over the buildings. That and the super white trash argument which occurred at the back door between what I assume (hope) was a mother and son – which led to an imagined daily household routine that made me sad enough to drop it like a broken glass baseball.

As the wife and kid napped, I drove the back highways and roads out to where I grew up, enjoying the few places where I could still find roads surrounded by trees, trees standing stately in that tense phase between summer and fall. We cruised aimlessly, enjoying the air and the sun, until it was time to drop the little man off at grandma and grandpa’s.

Bif and I went out for a date night for the first time in awhile. We had ourselves some pretty amazing Thai food and went and saw The Simpsons Movie – which was hugely satisfying. We went for a few drinks afterwards, but I was pretty tired at this point and feeling fairly annoyed by the other people out on the town. I realized that I had passed some invisible age/attitude line that when you’re younger you never think is going to happen, but it does, it does… And then I realized that other bar hoppers have always annoyed me and I got over it.

The rest of the weekend disappeared in a haze of cleaning, baby proofing and rehearsals. I honestly doesn’t feel like there was even an extra day there.

I do feel like another start line has appeared at my feet though, and I’m pumped to run. I would feel refreshed and energized if I wasn’t so damn tired…

No comments: