Friday, August 19, 2005

"I'm Really Sorry To Hear About That"

Imagine:

A young man, late twenties/early thirties, named Jeff Messenger, crossing within a crosswalk on a curvy road in unincorporated Snohomish County. As Jeff is near halfway across, he is struck by the side view mirror of a passing sunburst orange van. The connection is hard enough to send Jeff flying.

Jeff pops right into the mouth of a nearby well like a schoolyard basketball player’s wet dream. Nothing but Annette Funicello fills his mind as he smacks the back of his head along the inside of the wet bricks. He hits the cold, dark, well water, reeking of minerals, with a thunderous splash that echoes off the walls. Almost as soon as he is back up to the surface is quickly pulled back under and thrust through a complex plumbing system, made entirely of vinyl and nagahide.

He is flushed out into an enormous cave where he is greeted by a small group of wide eyed young men and women. He is introduced to the one who seemed to be the leader of the group. Interestingly enough, he is named Geoff as well (but, as you can see, spelled differently). The only thing that Jeff can think to say is:

“Zorro was Annette Funicello’s favorite show.”

Mr. Messenger learns that he has found himself among a community of people who have all been struck by sunburst orange vans and knocked into the well. And here they sit, attempting to develop the technology that will bring the automotive tyrants down.

Something about the concussion Jeff received on his fall mixes facts from the original Mickey Mouse Club transmissions and his Great Aunt’s recipe for snickerdoodles. It turns out to be exactly the knowledge that this group needs. Soon, all hell will break loose.

-This is the sort of thing that I’m thinking about while customers are yapping on and on with their inane complaints…

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I picked you.

Anonymous said...

Me too!

Anonymous said...

Thanks guys, I'm glad y'all picked me too!

Anonymous said...

But seriously now, today is my birthday and does anyone know where I can get some high-quality acid?

Oh and Beth, I really loved the posting about Bill's hands (http://siren-sound.diaryland.com/050625_63.html).

Anonymous said...

'Hardblogger': Shrum on the antiwar movement
One thing stands out in the Buchanan blog : While crying crocodile tears for a Democratic Party which, he predicts, will be split down the middle over the Iraq War, he says nothing at all about his own position ...
Hey, you have a nice blog here! I'm going to bookmark you!

I have a corporate magician blog. It pretty much covers corporate magician related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Anonymous said...

Bill, it looks like my purposely random, weird birthday post invited a slew of seemingly-spamish posts! Sorry if that was cause by me, although otherwise welcome to the fun, fantastic world of weblog spam. :P

Anonymous said...

I don't think it was you, but I am a little weirded out by this blogger comment spam. This is a new hassle I didn't know existed.

And I hope you had a great birthday by the way. Whiskey and unicum perhaps...

Anonymous said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, and the essence of the blog can be many things...

Anonymous said...

Yes, I get plenty PLENTY of comment-spam on garden2.net. Which is ususally very simple to remove. But it is the in-between posts which are the real kickers... you can't tell wether to kill them or let them live. On posts which I am unsure, I usually just kill the email and web links, thereby making the post harmless.

(Comment spam works by improving the spammer's Google ranking by linking to a lot of sites and therefore removing links helps remove that... but then again, they might have some seriously tricky alternate motive as well... the internet grows much smarter than I will ever claim to be).