Monday, August 22, 2005

Yeah, I Know, Mondays Suck For Everyone

I was going to write about the opening of the grand show #2 here in Seattle, and I will a bit, but…

We opened The Crucible last week. It’s a tough show that leaves me freaking wrecked by the end of it (and hopefully the audience finds it that way as well). My fellow actors in this show are nothing short of amazing, and if you for some reason find yourself in the Seattle area during the next two weekends, I would highly recommend seeing it.

But today, Monday, has been one of those mornings that, while amazingly aggravating to me, others may find funny, so here you go:

I am working some overtime today, and was supposed to be in at 7 am. Apparently this typing numbnuts set his alarm, but neglected to turn it on. So on awaking at 7:09, I had that “Oh shit” moment of absolute panic as I ran to the bathroom for the bare essentials and threw on whatever was laying on the bedroom floor.

Oh, and let me just say that current employer really looks down upon being late. I was told back when I was a temp, by a supervisor, that it is sometimes better to just call in sick than to show up late.

At this point the plan to walk to work was decided against. I managed to hit every possible red light getting out of Capitol Hill, and a few lights that the red light fairies had apparently put up in the night while I slept. I then found a freeway jammed with what I can only assume were tourists from some sort of Brigadoon where freeways don’t exist and the only prerequisite for driving is an apparent 5 ½ minute driving lesson that relies heavily on the brake pedal.

Oh, and trucks. Big trucks. Big, slow moving trucks.

I pulled a daring Dukes of Hazard style crossing to avoid getting stuck behind a train (the shocks of our Honda-cum-General Lee are probably emotionally scarred at best) only to find that all parking near the building (usually somewhat available near 7 am) was taken.

Hauling ass to the offsite parking lot, I battled more big trucks and lane closures and managed to spill 3 day old coffee all over myself getting out of the car while watching a shuttle drive away. I then waited 15 minutes for the next shuttle when I could have walked there in 20.

And then, just to top it off, I overheard some awful USC grad behind me say the words, “I think this season I’ll watch college games and just TiVo pro.” I cannot explain why, but the combination of words and tone there put in the mood punch something but hard.

It has put me in one of those moods where I don’t really want to talk to anybody, I just want to sit quietly and do my work, for fear of hearing the words “alarm clock” or “Monday” or “TiVo”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hate those mornings with a passion. So is it as bad to be late now that you aren't a temp anymore?

Anonymous said...

Still not good, but I think there's a little leniency in the fact that I was late for overtime hours.