Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Long Live The New Flesh

I'm in this strange head space. You can taste transition on the air - it tastes like slightly overcooked caramel by the way; you can feel it pressing in. It could get to be a paranoid downer if I didn't feel good about this, if I didn't feel, if not ready, at least ready to face changes.

On the walk in to work today, I stopped at least three times realizing that the prior five minutes or so had gone by as if in a blackout. No memory of buildings passed, no memory of the music in the headphones, no memory of the thoughts I had been thinking. This is not normal mental behavior on my walk, I may become uber focused on something and lose myself, but I can always ask the inner stenographer to read back the inner dialogue. Not today...

I feel my mind trying to adjust itself to the change.

Everything right now sort of feels like driving over a bridge with someone who is afraid of driving over a bridge. The passenger takes in sort of a hurried, nervous breath on leaving solid city ground, holds that breath as best as possible while driving over, only to let loose a sigh when safely on the other side. I didn't realize at the time, but all of that rush of fear and excitement was the long pull of breath in.

We're in the held breath section right now, a place where every action seems to hold far more responsibility than it does, a place where it seems every superstition is necessity and is only held together by this supreme force of will.

I have this memory that I'm not sure is mine - someone getting their tarot cards read and getting this panic stricken look when the Death card is dealt. The reader very calmly explains that death is not a negative thing, it only represents transition, change. I feel like I'm preparing for the death of everything that has come before - and I'm realizing that this is not a negative thing in the least. My life is about to change to the very core of things, and I think my mind is trying to give me a reassuring hand on the back while it ushers me to a whole new focus.

I've always had a tumultuous relationship with change, but I'm even excited by the change that will come to that as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well put.

It must be freaky weird-good to be in your shoes right now. But I have complete confidence that both of you are 110% prepared for the unprepareable changes that are about to drop in your laps (or from you lap as it were).

Now if you could only get that computer Finder to stop translating English into squares, right?