Thursday, April 12, 2007

Bye Kurt

So Bif cuddled up next to me this morning after putting Riley back down to sleep and whispered to me that Kurt Vonnegut had passed on. I let the news sit for a second, and then thought, "well, he's been wanting to go for awhile."

I can't say that Mr. Vonnegut's passing will effect me in any huge way, but his work certainly did.

When I was 18, out on my own, not realizing that I didn't need to struggle to find my identity (but struggle I did), I got my first real taste of Kurt Vonnegut. I had certainly heard of him, vague whispers of books condemned to banned lists and this masterpiece called Slaughterhouse Five which was even mentioned in Footloose, but even though I went to high school in a fairly forward thinking part of the world, no one seemed brave enough to teach it just yet.

Dave came down from the university while I was working in a gas station and going to Saddleback Community College. He sat by the pool reading Cat's Cradle by our man Kurt. I asked if it was any good and he gave me a brief rundown on the plot. I filed it away under "Things A College Person Reads" for future perusal when I needed to be reminded of what I was supposed to be doing.

Not long after, I was searching out reading material at the bookstore and remembered about Mr. Vonnegut. They didn't have Cat's Cradle, so I picked up a copy of Breakfast of Champions.

Breakfast of Champions blew my mind. Literally, it was as if Kurt Vonnegut crawled into my head and gave my brain a blow job. It hadn't dawned on me until that moment that you could fuck with literary structure in any damn way you felt like, suddenly there were no rules. I look back at that first reading of Breakfast of Champions as the first timid steps through a gate and onto a wildly overgrown path I would do cartwheels down

I began to delete the "Things A College Person Reads" and "Things A College Person Listens To" files.

Every time I went to visit other works by Mr. Vonnegut, it always felt like I was being invited along by a friend. A friend with a wicked sense of humor, a friend who was a little sad at being able to see all the wrong there was, a friend who understood the frailty of people but also got the triumph, a friend with that sparkle in his eye that just gave you kick to the heart.

Thank you Kurt, for doing what you did.
kurt

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a college girl reading Breakfast of Champions on the train yesterday. I noticed the book and thought it should be on my reading list. The movie was a little weird, so the book must be fantastic. I thought to ask the girl how she was enjoying the book but I didn’t. It would have blown my mind if she had said; it’s like Kurt Vonnegut is giving my brain a blow job.

One minute someone is reading your book on the train and then you’re dead.

It’s weird when those kinds of things happen? Jen and I saw “To Kill A Mockingbird” the same night Gregory Peck died. It’s a good movie and he’s a good actor, but nobody’s getting any brain suck action.

Anyway on your recommendation I’ll be reading Breakfast of Champions.

Billy Badgley said...

The night before she died, I made some disparaging comment about Anna Nicole, and was honestly a little shell shocked the next day when I heard the news.

I also highly recommend Cat's Cradle and Hocus Pocus (they may in fact be better than BoC, but it was my first...)