Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Creek Of Consciousness

Speaking of cheese – yesterday I did, c’mon good people – I’m always slightly disturbed by the fact that Velveeta can be stored, in its original state, on a shelf with no refrigeration. It keeps me up at nights. Not for long, I mean I’m a hard working man, but still… Disturbing. Also, I have this vague uncomfortable feeling about how colby, swiss and cheddar – blended all together – can be formed into a wobbly substance that looks like it could be used to caulk tile.

Is it just me, or is anyone who grew up watching the Bugs Bunny/Tom and Jerry variety of cartoons slightly scarred by the idea of Limburger cheese? In the cartoon universe it’s the stinkiest substance known to animal kind, powerful enough to stop a pursuer in their tracks and turn them all variety of colors. I like me some cheese, but I’m honestly a little frightened by Limburger.

“Fat Lady of Limbourg” off of Brian Eno’s Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy) is all kinds of awesome. Nice sinister tone to some bordering on ridiculous lyrics. I first heard it as a background song in Velvet Goldmine and had forgotten about it until recently.

I almost had a knock down, drag out fight with someone over how flippin’ awesome Velvet Goldmine is. This person had the audacity to try to argue that it was an awful film. I could have come back with how it perfectly encapsulated how disposable glam rock was intended to be, how glam was about the shiny, gaudy veneer - perfectly fucking illustrated by the tacky Citizen Kane references used to showcase a “mystery” loosely based around the larger than life images of Bowie, Iggy and Eno. I could have said that the soundtrack kicks ass, let’s not forget the T. Rex, God bless ya. But I instead fought that argument with a, “you’re wrong” as I walked away.

There’s also the nice memory of lazing around and watching Velvet Goldmine with kc! one weekend when Bif went out of town. Velvet Goldmine and The Matrix… These are the good times.

No comments: