Friday, November 23, 2007

T Day

Thanksgiving was spent with the family this year which pales significantly in comparison to the ones I’ve been lucky enough to spend with friends, or running around the empty streets of San Francisco trying to catch 3 movies before a luxurious feast of turkey burritos. I’d complain about the family, the walls, the lack of honest communication (from me as well), but why bother. I’ve got it pretty lucky in the family department, if all I can complain about is surface stuff then I end up sounding like a spoiled little douche.

However, I will say that having not seen my father in a number of months, and he having not seen his grandson in the same amount of time, his decision to spend 6+ hours locked in a reclining chair watching football was disappointing. My memories of my grandfather are filled with nothing but an old man sitting in a chair and ignoring everyone else. I’m hoping that my father wants more for his grandson.

Moving on. Some things I’m thankful for you ask? Well, I’m glad you did:

I’m thankful for irresponsibly sleeping in an extra half hour this morning. I was able to walk into work as the sun was cresting this part of the world and it was one of those glorious winter mornings where the sun is so pale and fragile you think that crystalline cold air is going to break it.

I’m thankful for a heater in the apartment that works.

I’m thankful for being surrounded by some pretty damn amazing friends.

I’m thankful for a happy and healthy son who makes me smile more than I have any right to.

I’m thankful for a wife who, after all this time and after the added stress of being first time parents, can still make me laugh and feel right and who I can call my best friend.

I’m thankful for Cuba Gooding Jr. but I am unclear as to why.

I’m thankful for whisky, and pizza, and for Arrested Development on DVD.

I’m thankful for the feeling that I can follow my own voice, and more often than not that it’s saying, “screw you if you can’t take a joke.”

I’m thankful for a pretty good year of getting to do my thing on stage and film.

I’m thankful for T. Rex.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am thankful for making the cut above Cuba Gooding Jr this year. That was an embarassing 2006.
and when do I make you laugh??