Saturday, January 06, 2007

Right Round, Baby Right Round, Like A Record Baby...

And speaking of Dead Or Alive…

P.S. Billy, no one was speaking of Dead Or Alive, no one cares about Dead Or Alive anymore outside of 80’s irony/nostalgia fits.

Okay. And in writing about Dead Or Alive yesterday, I was reminded of the few months that I was listening to them when I was in high school. And this was mostly because of a friend…

See, said friend came out of the closet in high school. Slowly at first, in fact I was the only one in our school that he told for quite awhile. He had tested the waters for a couple of weeks before hand, dropping hints that were broader than John Candy after a month long nacho binge. Still, I imagine it must have been fairly scary not really knowing how a friend is going to take the news, not knowing if a friend is still going to be a friend.

Once he was out, it was as if there was this hole in a dam. I became an outlet for his stories that he couldn’t share with anyone else. I got to hear about a lot of clubbing, was taught the finer points of cologne choices, I learned what a “fag hag” was. I’m smiling thinking about how excited he would be talking about his weekend escapades and finally feeling comfortable with himself.

I remember driving around Laguna Beach the summer that we graduated, drinking vodka and fountain 7-Up out of gas station big gulp cups, and listening to Youthquake and Mad, Bad And Dangerous To Know by Dead Or Alive. It was warm and we sang really loud. He was excited about the future tumbling his way, I was way freaked out with no idea of what the hell I was going to do. But somehow, if I could just focus on the drive along the coast and to that irresistibly danceable New Wave sound, I didn’t need to worry about it.

We pretty much went our separate ways after graduation, but I remember a lot of laughs and a lot of listening to what was apparently all the rage in the dance clubs at the time. Man that guy loved his Stephen ‘Tin Tin’ Duffy…

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It still kinda freaks me out how remarkably close we loved to each other and didn't meet until year later.

...then again you were just older enough from me that we were worlds apart.

You know what would be a cool internet social experiment? A website that plots peoples location on a map and cross-references it with the date and time. You could plot all your relationships and see where they intersect.

Sweet, sweet data design spins ME right round baby, right round.

mandy said...

bill i just noticed your links section is alphabetized. it seems so perfectly you.

MommyHeadache said...

Hey, I care about Dead or Alive. They were fab!! Brings back good memories of being pissed out of my skull at college.