Monday, August 27, 2007

Dr. Sterling, We Hardly Knew Ya'

Well, we closed it up. The final episode of the staged soap opera that had been a part of my life for awhile now has come to an end.

I thought I would be a little sadder about watching it explode out of the world. I mean I’ve been working on this for a year plus, with some fine people that I’ve grown very close to. With the end of every other episode there was a sadness that was salved with the knowledge that a new one would be coming up soon.

I think that I may have psyched myself up for what I thought was going to be an impending crush of emotions. I wasn’t going to be working with this group, in this capacity, ever again. And two of these actors that I have now done 4 shows with are leaving town to hit LA. I may not do a show that is just this over the top fun to do again.

I walked backstage after my final stint as a character named Gossip Whore, giving a long and energetic rundown on the shows that have come before, and realized that ol’ GHo was done. He was bitchy and fast, and honestly just a lot of fun to do, but even the knowledge that I was putting him to rest didn’t strike a chord.

Some of it could have been that I did feel that I had put in enough time with this series. Some of it could have been that this last go around it seemed as though the theater didn’t really give a shit about the show; it felt like a lot of people didn’t really seem to care this time, save the cast, the director and a small sprinkling of fans (old and new).

Somewhere after 3AM, after dancing in a frenzied manner to “Come On Eileen” while in a dress and wig, I chased a couple of cast members down the street to say goodbye. I know it’s a small town, a small acting community, but it was quite possible I wouldn’t work with these people again and that is a shame.

It began to rain lightly while we hugged out our goodbyes and I made the decision to grab my stuff from the theater and make an attempt for a quick out. These goodbyes never work out quite that way. By the time I was on my way home, it was a full bore rain and the streets were empty, save for me and the strong feeling that this was only fitting.

No comments: