Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Turn Around Bright Eyes

The other day, I was walking through the park with Kickers. We were on our way to the swings which he typically enjoys. He’s like his dad in that way. In fact, if people wouldn’t look at me like I was some sort of acid casualty, out for a day from the halfway house, I would probably shriek and giggle too as I pendulum through the air.

I’m not really sure why that’s stopping me though…

But Kicker’s was having none of it. He was having a frustrated sort of day. He’s also like his dad in that way; when he’s frustrated he’s sometimes not good at keeping it to himself. As we walked away from the swings we passed by this group of man-boys on bikes.

Shaggy haired, black concert shirts, apathy coming off of them in waves you could taste. And it sort of tastes like a flavorless cookie that’s been made with way too much shortening, apathy does, a cookie that’s been dipped two days ago in stale and burnt coffee.

They were in a rough circle these bland cookie man-boys, a circle that looked as if it had been drawn by an acid casualty out for a day from the halfway house. They were singing Bonnie Tyler’s masterpiece, “Total Eclipse Of The Heart”. They were however singing like The Dan Band sings it in Old School, complete with profanities:

“And I need you more than fucking ever!” they sang in a chorus.

Everyone stopped there, the joke shared, the commonality of pop culture understood… Everyone except for one man boy who continued the song for half a phrase before dropping off all embarrassed.

Thing is, I could tell that he really dug the song. He was singing it out because the power of “Total Eclipse Of The Heart” could not be contained for him. I wanted to go to him, this man-boy, and put my hand on his shoulder (and Kickers probably would have felt the need to put his hand out as well; he’s again much like his father in this way) and say, “sing it out brother.”

Because he’s right to want to let that power fly, “Total Eclipse Of The Heart” is one of the greatest songs ever made. I know how that bike riding ragamuffin feels, I am smitten so damn hard. It’s taken years for me to be comfortable with how simple lines like “we’re living in a powder keg and giving off sparks. I really need you tonight. Forever’s going to start tonight. Forever’s going to start tonight” bring me to a place that’s akin to pop song heaven.

God bless you Bonnie Tyler

No comments: