Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Land Of Confusion

So I was doing some shopping, standing on line for a register when I took a quick look at the discount DVD’s on the shelf to my right. I can’t help it, I’m constantly looking for a bargain copy of I Love Trouble… There were some movies that I had heard of, Minority Report and Runaway Bride (thank the lord we finally got the Pretty Woman dynamite duo of Richard Gere and Julia Roberts back together), but there was also an ass load of some penguin movie.

Penguins On The Move, or Penguin Insurgence, I don’t remember the exact title unfortunately, but the cover made it pretty clear that this company was trying to jump onto whatever glow remains with the success of March Of The Penguins.

And I realized that this is a gambit that will work on a lot of people. Someone will surely walk by and say, “Hey it’s that penguin movie everyone was talking about. And it’s only $7.99!” Said person may then buy it and (maybe) watch it, never the wiser. Which I guess is fine. If said person had a burning desire to watch March Of The Penguins, they would probably make an effort to remember the name of the movie; probably…

It just made me think of all the chatter out there, all the television shows and mindless movies and overly produced and unoriginal music that we use to block out our lives. "American Idol" may be a fun show to watch, I don’t know I haven’t seen it, but I’m against it philosophically. My issue with it revolves around two women I used to work with who watched the show religiously so they would know what to listen to when a winner was announced.

So this is what was bumming me out under awful florescent lighting while the person in front of me tried to return or exchange some tacky brass candlesticks. Then, as if to illustrate my point, a young woman behind me grabbed a DVD case and explained to her friend:

“It’s that [Interchangeable Young Actress’ Name] movie. I think we saw it. You know? The one where she has a best friend and the mom? Someone gets pregnant?”

I fear leaving this life remembering only a list of vague notions.

No comments: