Monday, January 28, 2008

Week In Review

I have been an awful blogger lately, last week’s output was embarrassing and I beg your forgiveness. If I had a picture of myself on my knees to post here, I would.

And let me make that clear, if I had a “clean” picture of myself on my knees…

My last week was fairly miserable. I mean it started off fine enough, but then things just continued to slide. There was a moment on Wednesday when I could feel a crack in my composure that I was trying to mend (and by mend I mean ignore), but then as things started piling up, the cracking just kept happening.

It was like that scene in The Lost World: Jurassic Park where the RV is going off the cliff and Julianne Moore hits the back window and as she stares through the glass and into the tremendous fall down a cliff, stress cracks start radiating out underneath her with every move. It was exactly like that, without the T. Rex and without Jeff Goldblum saving me by grabbing onto my lucky backpack.

Where were you Jeff Goldblum, you with your stylized speaking cadence?

There was no big issue, just a bunch of little ones; all of them fantastic examples of the ridiculousness of holding an office job. On Thursday I walked out of the middle of a meeting. On Thursday night I got to one of those points where I couldn’t see past the big Monster Truck of Anger that was gunning its engine in front of me, it felt like all the blood vessels inside of me were going blow. On Friday it entered my mind, albeit briefly, that I could just walk away from this gig and not come back.

Which brings to mind a number of questions, like: Why did Heath have to die for Britney’s sins? And what does this say about the poor timing of Brad Renfro? Does anybody else suspect an Olsen twin of performing murders that look like suicides? And seriously, where were you Jeff Goldblum?

Yeah, it all seems pretty petty and ridiculous now, particularly when you get home to a little man who’s so excited to see you that he starts jumping up and down and clapping. How are you gonna beat that? You’re not, not with a ten foot stick made out of crappy office job.

So, I’m hoping to prioritize my time a bit better and get more posts in, realize this job is what it is and get on with doing what I need to to get on out of it.


Song Stuck In My Head Right Now: “Rockit” by Herbie Hancock. Don’t ask…

No comments: