Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Negativity Just Makes Me Stronger

I’ve been, again, being slapped around by some coincidence lately. Typically, as I’ve written before, I start to notice a trend for coincidence and will wait for 3rd occurrence to call it such. This one is new, a new trend in forecasting coincidence, not multiple examples of the same coincidence, but multiple coincidental anomalies stacking up.

I have been spending way too much time at work looking at spreadsheets. Yet on I charge…

Instead of a big, massive, “something’s going on in my world” coincidence, it’s like being in a swarm of coincidences. But unlike bees, which would hurt, this is more like say a swarm of hummingbirds with tickle feathers.

It started with Nikki 2 K’s and me talking about “Bone Machine” by the Pixies. He had it stuck in his head and was digging it fierce. I told him how much I loved that it starts out with this strong and almost backwards drum beat, and then the bass comes in all sly and understated, and then you get slapped in the dick by the guitars. Around about an hour later, we’re in a supervisor check in when, just to shake some shit up, the assistant office manager starts playing a guess the song by the lyrics sorta game. We’re given a “I was talking to preachy preach about kissy kiss” straight outta “Bone Machine”. I almost won that round, but unfortunately left out one “he bought me a soda.”

Later, we’re having some lunch and talking about 80’s movies. We were specifically talking about 80’s movies that we may have loved when we were younger, but should not be revisited. Footloose may have come up, but Footloose comes up in this circle a lot. I mentioned Fletch and how I feared going back to watch The Breakfast Club, not wanting to sully the fond memories I have. At some point Singles came up – not as a movie to avoid seeing again, but because it also comes up in this circle a lot. Talk then naturally turned to the Singles apartment building which is up the street from where I currently live. Y’know, the Singles apartment building:

And the next day, what did I pass on the way to a staged reading? I passed a Safeway. But, soon after I passed the Singles apartment.

There was a third one that I cannot remember unfortunately, completing this coincidence by three rule I seem to have. But today, in the middle of quality scoring some of my reps work and listening to my iPod, I decided I needed to look at something else for a couple of minutes. I went through some blogs that I check on a regular basis, including Dave’s. He is currently playing the shit out of The Basement Tapes by Dylan and The Band. I read this while The Basement Tapes by Dylan and The Band were playing in my ears.

So what, if anything, does any of this mean? Not a damn thing, it’s just a hummingbird ticklefest that will hopefully stop before I pee myself.


Song Stuck In My Head Right Now: “Sick Of Goodbyes” by Sparklehorse.

1 comment:

Dave said...

Well, I'm not sure how much of a coincidence that last one really is, since I'm pretty much always playing the shit out of that album. Still... whoooEEEEoooooo!