Friday, July 15, 2005

Television - He's Just Watching...

Continuing with the television discussion… Sort of.

While I have a love/hate relationship with the device television, I have love/love relationship with the band Television.
television
The 1977 Marquee Moon is an amazing album. Once more with feeling: Marquee Moon is an amazing album!

My first experience with the band came through covers. Back in high school I heard the Siouxsie and the Banshees version of Little Johnny Jewel and thought to myself, “wow, that song rules". Little did I know how much it fucking ruled until I heard the original Television version.

Then in college I heard the Kronos Quartet doing a version of Marquee Moon that was… well honestly it was an oddity, but reinforced my desire to check out this album that I’d heard whispers of greatness about.

It took me another ten years, but I finally laid my hands on this landmark Television album and immediately asked myself what took so fucking long. While it certainly contains trademarks of that late 70’s CBGB sort of sound, it is also timeless. Tom Verlaine and Richard Lloyd on guitars are showy without being wanky, just fantastic.

I would highly recommend the recent re-release which does have bonus tracks including Little Johnny Jewel. Shit yeah, this stuff is good. I wouldn’t lie to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For those superior computer afficianados out there (read Apple Computer lovers), here is an iTunes link.