Thursday, July 21, 2005

William's Chevron

Back when I was 19 years old, angry and high, living with a drug addict and in this sick and desperate sort of relationship with a woman that I frankly had no business even knowing, I worked at a gas station.

I would get on my bike at 5:30 in the morning and pedal my ass to the Chevron station on El Toro road, right off the 5 freeway in OC.

For some reason I remember this as one of the best jobs I’ve ever had. I worked with a vaguely racist and volatile family who owned the place; they were nice to me, but I am white. I eventually convinced everyone who worked there to call me Lord Bill, King of the Cashiers. I stole smokes and had mad drug connections with the insane riff raff that also worked there. Oh, and they were flexible with my schedule as I was also going to school at the time.

Occasionally I would work the graveyard shift 10pm to 6am. This would often happen when I was working the night shift and the graveyard guy never showed. I’m about to make a huge generalization here, but: graveyard guys tend to not be the most reliable folks in the world.

I loved the graveyard shift, even doing it straight off the night shift. I could play guitar, go smoke in the beer cooler, all the beef jerky I could take. And did I mention the customers?

I was told I must lock the doors at midnight. One night about 2, some guy comes up to the speaker box asking to use the bathroom. I told him I was sorry, but the inside was closed for the evening. He reiterated to me that he really had to pee. I said:

“I’m going to quote the owner of this establishment for you: Even if Jesus Christ himself were lying bleeding in front of this door, you will not open it.”

*I would probably have to open the door for the Big J dude, that’s just good business. Sorry Trudy.

The man with the full bladder then asked if he could go behind the building to throw a whiz. I said yeah man, follow your bliss.

But the guy I remember most out of all the late night denizens, out of all the ramblers and nutty requesters, is a guy I’ll call Larry.

I don’t know why I’m so fascinated with Larry, but he drove up at the gas station in his red sports car round about 3:30 in the morning in his bathrobe. He came up to the window and promptly and politely asked for $2 in gas on pump five.

Why the sudden need to put $2 of unleaded into his convertible Mustang struck Larry at 3:30 in the morning I will never know. A need so sudden that he couldn’t even throw on shorts and T-shirt? I’m a little obsessed by this. I might write about a possible reason someday.

Maybe even tomorrow…

4 comments:

The Blogger Formally Known As Van! said...

ahhh two bits on pump five...I love it ;-)

Anonymous said...

To think that we lived SO close to each other being the "compatible souls" that we are for so long and never met astounds me to this day. Then again maybe the reason we get along so fabulously is that we share very similar life experiences.

Then again, it could be just that we are both the coolest guys on the planet, and how could anyone NOT get along with us!?

Anonymous said...

I love the mystery of timing in our lives; at point in your life experiences happen or you meet people. Much like a joke, life seems to be all in the timing.

Oh, and there are plenty of people who don't get along with me. I'll tell you about 'em, I'm making a list. So watch it, fuckers!

Anonymous said...

it's a nine mile walk
from the office to the pumps
sometimes you think you're gonna drop
in the end you're filthy dirty
horny and pissed off
and before you can leave you gotta sweep the fuckin' shop
it's a real real bitch
to be workin' 4 the man
but shit i do it well so what the fuck
i could probably wash dishes
at some other fuckin' dump
but it's all the same to me
bustin' ass to make a buck

so read em up and stick em
pump that fucker good
some woman down on main st. needs a jump
get your fingers outta your ass
and pump some faggot's gas
and think about how bad new hope sucks

pumpin' 4 th' man, ooh yeah.