Friday, May 05, 2006

Amurica

With all the talk about hippies this week - at least in the comments sections - I wanted to bring up something that occurred to me last night.

I went to see a play last night that culminated with scenes of a massive demonstration not unlike the WTO riots that occurred up here in Seattle a few years back. When asked why he took part in the demonstrations, one of the main characters threw out a litany of reasons like trade, unions, oil drilling in Alaska... It was clear he didn't have a concrete reason for taking a stand. I remembered watching footage of the riots while living in San Francisco and being angry with these people, some of who may have been trying to make a point that was important to them, for ruining any credibility they had a chance to have by behaving like retards. I remember expressing my frustration to a coworker who said that these people were shaking up the system at least. I asked two questions, which I never got answers for; how and why.

It all smacked of just being part of another scene.

While I whole heartedly feel that for many of the hippies in the sixties it was just about being part of the scene, I also feel that there were a large number of them who believed they were fighting for something worthwhile. There were individuals fighting for an America that they believed in, and for an America that could be.

The thing is I don't know if I would be willing to fight for America. Americans, for the most part, seem to me to be spoiled, fucking children with a sense of entitlement that is shocking. I'm embarrassed by my country and by its leaders. When you are instructed from those on top that success is gained by lying and cheating, when the laws work to erase the need of self responsibility, when most of the population lives in willful ignorance and continues to make choices that destroys the world around them... How can you stand up and be proud of that?

Thankfully though, my cynicism is cut with a naive hope. There is a potential for this country, on the ideals it was founded on that have never really come to fruition. I don't know how to change the course we are on short of a cataclysmic event, but I hope we can teach, that we can stand as amazing role models, that we can foster poets and artists and people that love and respect one another and the world around them. I hope that we can be brave enough to live every day in constant consideration, never blindly following the line.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, dude....DUDE! As the child and mother of activists, I must point out that protesting is an exercise of American rights. Even if you're doing it because you want to be part of the in-crowd, you're still sticking it to the man who would prefer that you stayed home and shut the fuck up and be a little American robot.
And...we're not the only country making choices to destroy the world around us - there are plently of others doing that but NOT giving people the same freedoms we have here. Sure, I don't like our current government, I'd like to live in some idyllic version of America and I do believe this is turning into a police state, but I still think we - excluding certain cities and entire states - are doing some things right.
HOT DAMN! You got me all fired up, Billy. You're so hot. You fucking HIPPIE. Spell it right, at least. Unless y'all have been talking about folks endowed with generous hips.
I'm SO coked up right now.

Anonymous said...

Wow. First, not knocking protest. I'm just saying that blindly running into a protest because it's cool is the same sort of stupid apathy as not doing anything at all - you're willfully not learning facts or thinking about whether this is a right cause or not.

And you're not sticking it to any "man" if you start fights and break windows of shop owners who had nothing to do with your "cause". You end up looking like a idiotic child and you take away any power your protest could have had.

We are certainly not the only country making choices which destroy ourselves, but our businesses often pay for other countries to make those choices. I just think we should provide a better example, but ultimately greed gets in the way. An idyllic version of America yes...

Ultimately, I feel like protests are sexy, they make a point and maybe open eyes that may not have seen. But I also feel the only thing that's gonna hurt the "man" is economics, exercising your purchasing power.

and I feel that more people in our country need to pull their fucking heads out of their asses, but having to speak to these people on the phone everyday probably doesn't help to paint the best picture of my fellow countrymen.

Unknown said...

True, all true.
I really enjoyed (although I didn't attend) the protests concerning the immigration laws. They seemed well-planned and attended by conscientious folks. I think the protests in France that involved smashing windshields, etc. sucked ass.
And I TOTALLY agree that we all need to pull our heads out of our asses and DO something...but most of America prefers to keep their heads firmly rooted up their asses and continue to shop, shop, shop 'til they drop. 2008 is SO far away.
Perhaps its time you bought an island and named it McSpiclish. I'd totally live their and pay 25 cents to cross the bridge to get to my chocolate horse.
Sadly, protests here seem to fall flat as they do most places now. But they do reflect an awareness that there is some idea of original America - land of the free, home of the brave and all that.