Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Looms Large

It's those weird, brackish weeks, it's the in between days, it's the onset... Summer has the door pushed open a crack, trying to connive spring into giving up the room. And people are all goofy - egging summer on and letting spring know that it's time to vacate, bitch!

I worry for folks that the bottom may fall out, that spring may hold tight and let loose with some more rain and a couple of those days that you expect to be dazzlers, but end up so cold that your nipples would break the sidewalk were you to fall down. And people get weather crazy up here, pushed no doubt by the weather reporters on the local news. We're having a few days of unseasonably warm weather (high 80's in some places - not big shakes having spent a number of summers in Southern California), and the grinning idiot faces of the telecasters actually called this system, "the first heat wave of the year". They touted it to a degree that you expected houses to explode and small animals and babies to burst into flames if you didn't keep them iced down.

But, I gotta be honest, it makes me feel like a younger man this warm, oncoming summer weather. I am reminded of desperate, sweaty hikes to Bidwell Creek to bask in the heady combination of cold water and hot air. I am reminded of shady porches and beers and cheap and grilled food and heavy laughter. I am reminded of the refusal to give up the day as there is still a glimmer of light in the sky so late.

I'm a little giddy right now. All of the cold and blue water surrounding this city is continuously calling for me to get in. And I'm trying so hard to ignore the warning voice in my head, telling me that come August I'm going to be so sick of attempting to sleep in a hot and stuffy room that I will curse summer and its coconut scented air for ever coming. I just want to float on this happy, seasonal feeling right now.

And here is the audience participation portion of the post: What is your favorite summer album? Which album, which band makes you think of summer?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pet Sounds-Beach Boys. My brother played it on his tape player when he to my first surfing lessons at Doheney Beach.

Anonymous said...

"Blazing Arrow" by Blackalicious sticks in my head for some reason as a superb summer album. While it is not necessarily classic, or even old by any means I can barely listen to it without thoughts of backyard BBQs, hammock-tans, and 4th of July relaxation.

Kelly Bean said...

anything by poison. seriously. my sisters inundated me with it as a child when they were forced to let me tag along with them. anything by poison being played in a cobra.

Anonymous said...

real bad orange county ska. with not very good trombone solos and off-key singing. it reminds me of magical summers spent driving in my bff's grandpa's cadillac monte carlo(?)(cristo?)(what the hell was that car? big enough to stand up in the back seat? if you were a really short person?) to shows in warehouses in anaheim. truck exhaust, boy sweat and dehydration-induced hallucinating. the most beautiful plaid-clad time of my life.

Anonymous said...

Don Henley - The End of the Innocence... reminds me of carefree summer days spent with a certain high school sweetheart. And of course, Boys of Summer by the same. -Chuck

Anonymous said...

Was that certain high school sweetheart kc?

Anonymous said...

Awe Chuck, you remembered our song!

Anonymous said...

Steve Miller Band - Joker