Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Same Circles

Is it coincidence that my work sponsored skate-nite event collided with the Seattle visit of one Jen Jen the Panda Girl? Oh no, my 'creating your own reality' powers grow stronger by the day.

It just seemed so right that Jenny was here for skate-nite, a simulation of events from my childhood. I'm sure that we must have discussed a love of roller skating somewhere along the years, but I don't recall it. I think it's just more that Jenny feels like someone I went to grade school with. It's difficult to explain, but if I were to find out that she was the reincarnation of one of my first grade friends, I'd totally believe it. It may be that unapologetic, emotional closeness and goofiness I feel with her, those sort of strong feelings that only children seem able to muster.

But, the Skate King... So much like the Skate King in Kent that I used to visit in grade school that I'm surprised that I didn't fall to the ground in moaning convulsions, my brain misfiring as it tried to reconcile a thirty-five year old me invading the territory of the 12 year old me. The dark brown wood where you picked up your skates was the same, the snack bar seating and the lockers were the same, the hopelessly outdated lighting rig on the ceiling was the same. The music had changed, but they were still even playing Def Leppard!

(Pour Some Sugar On Me instead of Rock Of Ages or Photograph, but shit, it's like Def Leppard was created for the skating crowd)

I had a blast even though I didn't realize how effing sweaty I was going to get skating around in circles. Was I reminded of the heart-skipping, stomach-flipping excitement that came with the chance to hold the hand of my 6th grade girlfriend? Oh yeah I was. It seemed a little silly now, coming so strongly over the jaded years that have passed between, but I could remember the make or break seriousness that came with seemingly innocent hand holding and the dizziness that came with those tentative first steps into an ocean I was just beginning to explore.

Was I also reminded of the jealousy that I had at Chris' skating ability? Yeah, that guy took lessons on weekends and could 'shoot the duck' or some such shit.

Anyway, Biffy, Jenny and I had fun at skate-nite. We went back home and Jenny and I talked for awhile, eventually getting around to telling ghost stories. It was good. It is always fantastic to get to spend time with Jenny, I love her somethin' fierce. Again, it just seemed so right that she was there as I rediscovered my Skate King roots.

Confidential to Jenny: I think our first script should be a super scary ghost story - the image of your elevator guy gave me the creeps when I tried to go to sleep.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

i should have fallen then and there so that we could fuse our skinned knees together and become blood brethren under the beautiful disco lights of the skate king.

and i thought the best skate nite ever was on july 2, 1987 at the fountain valley skating rink. who knew skating with billy and bethy, wrecking my left hip, eating grody pizza and the dj shunning my madness song request would trump doubles skate with an eighth grader?

love you, dude. scary old man ghost sends the power of the shaka.

Anonymous said...

Jen, I just found an awesome pic of you and I from Saddleback. ZineClub rulez!!

Anonymous said...

4-LIFE.

i have "ZINE CLUB" tattooed on my knuckles.

Anonymous said...

dear kc!, doesn't it totally blow your mind that you have a picture of us from zine club? a good five years before i knew the joy of bill+beth? and ten years later we're posting here, in the blogger comment section?

i need to find the junior high/early high school-era diary entry that talks about my mad crush on kc b. we're talking circa 1990-91. the universe will explode.

Anonymous said...

It truly explodes my mind that ANYONE (nevermind a hottie like you, Jen) would have a crush on me... especially during that awkward period of my life.

Everything is just one big loopy circle, I tell you....

Anonymous said...

Gotta be careful with those 'creating your own reality' powers. I was thinking, "if only I worked with someone from the DGS heyday" and they hired Chi Lee.

Anonymous said...

...maybe just more specific Dougie.

I'm sorry by the way.