Monday, February 26, 2007

I Would Like To Thank...

Every year I attempt to make a stand against the Academy Awards. In theory, I hate the Academy Awards. I find the self congratulatory bullshit to be a bit much. Celebrities already get to live on a higher plane of existence, do they really need to have their asses kissed a little bit more? If you want to hand out awards for achievements in film making, okay do it, but honestly do we need any more freaking spectacle? Do we need the gameshowesque, 1 winner 4 losers aspect of suspense? Do we need the pre-show HOURS spent with bitchy anchors gabbing about what the stars are wearing? Seriously!

Every year I attempt to make a stand against the Academy Awards, but I fail nearly every year. It could be invitations to Academy Awards parties, it could be Chris and G-ra in the Haight from their tv-less outpost in Dos Rios and a hankering for Chinese Food and celebrity ass kissing. If I was really so staunch about the whole thing you'd think I'd just go into another room, read some Tolstoy, plan a sojourn into the wilds of Kentucky, masturbate fiercely...

But no, almost every year I watch the ridiculous parade. And admittedly, I do love to witness raw emotional release of an artist that I respect. If I don't respect you, or if you're acting a raw emotional release, I will mock you mercilessly.

The above mentioned year with G&C and little white boxes of Taiwan to go, I actually cried when Michael Moore won the award for Bowling For Columbine and he made a fantastic speech despite a planted crowd of jeers.

Last night, I probably could have skipped the whole affair quite easily, but Mandy invited us over to watch. It seemed like a great idea to get out of the house, have some pizza and a beer, mock people mercilessly. I feel that I must be growing up a bit because while I still feel the Academy Awards are fairly unnecessary, I don't get as self righteously worked up as I do when say someone leaves Entertainment Tonight playing on the TV at home. And I am much more willing to weed through the shrill and annoying to get to watching things like Martin Scorsese cry at seeing his friend and editor thank him when she won her award, and watching Mr. Scorsese's long awaited and deserved win get announced by his three friends - Francis Ford Coppola, George Lucas and Steven Spielberg.

And I also have to admit that my love for film wins out every time. I get emotionally involved when they do a montage of film clips. I'm reminded of why I hold film in such special place. I'm reminded that despite the audacious and ridiculous spectacle, there can still be art being made.

No comments: