Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Mood Music

I'm in a mood. I feel outside forces pressing down and prying angry little fingers in. What's worse is that I can feel myself toying with letting the mood sink; running my tongue over that sore spot in my mouth, not looking out the window for fear that there's no storm.

Well folks, I don't want to be in a shitty mood, I'm fighting against the dying of the light - or some such nonsense. I'm attempting a little self medication, a little musical therapy. I want to share my top 5 musical mood lifters for today.

(There's so, so many - these are just the first five that popped to mind this morning)

1) “For Real” by Okkerville River. When the lead singer actually spits out the word “fine” as if he's in the middle of some sort of passion driven, apoplectic fit of abandon I get giddy.

2) "Talking World War III Blues" by Bob Dylan. Dylan sort of quotes Abraham Lincoln and then busts out with, "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours. I said that." The balls, the youthful boldness in proclaiming your own quote, the sense of humor with which it's done... Shit, it makes me smile.

3) "Styrofoam Boots/It's Always Nice On Ice" by Modest Mouse. The bass and drums kicking in with a crash at the end makes my heart jump. If I'm walking down the street when this happens it makes me feel full of power, it makes me feel like I'm floating over the ground.

4) Any number of Pixies songs where Kim Deal comes in with a breathy backup. It's like some lascivious angel whispering in your ear, raising the hair on the back of your neck; an angel that got a little too close to the ground, a little dirty, a little roughed up at the hem.

5) “The Weight” by The Band. Levon Helms' growl of "yeah" after the 'Crazy Chester' verse seems like he feels that tickling pull of anticipation in his stomach and just can't wait to dive back into the song, like he's gotta let out that "yeah" no matter what. It makes me clap my hands and want to join in on some down home musical revival - friends and booze and instruments on a porch somewhere.

Sending you all some love out there, have a good Tuesday.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

its nice that we are in this trough together.

Anonymous said...

I just listened to those songs in my head and I already feel better. Thanks Billy. I feel the love and I'm sending some right back atcha.
And could you ask Biffy if there's room for four in that trough of yours? Ours is a little lonely with only two. Oh yeah we're having a little pity party of our own down here...Feel it, love it, rub it on those dirty parts. Wait, not so much that last one.

Anonymous said...

Wait, I want in on this trough love-in too...

K said...

"Teellll me something GOOD! (doo doo) Tell me that you love meeeee, yeah-eh-aahhhh..."

Sometimes I even bob my head on a street corner for effect.

I'm adding to your list because you were the one who got me started on this song in the first place.

Dave said...

The Band doing "The Weight" with the Staple Singers in The Last Waltz. It just doesn't get any better than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvCX9k-uU4k

Anonymous said...

"The Night They Drove Ol Dixie Down"
brings me to tears everytime I see that movie.

Billy Badgley said...

As long as we're throwing out Last Waltz moments - Van the Man doing Caravan rocks pretty hard...