Friday, June 24, 2005

And We Lived Beneath The Waves

A quick one for Friday evening:

Say what you will about the song Yellow Submarine by The Beatles, I'm betting it holds a special place in your heart. I bet as soon as you read the title above me here, the chorus kicked in somewhere in the back of your head.

This song is reviled by a lot of fanboy types, but why?

It's a Ringo song? Okay, granted.
It's childish and not serious? This may be it. I think we expect our "musicians" to carry about a sense of seriousness for their work to be great.

Imagine Pink Floyd doing Yellow Submarine....
Slow, more harmonies, scorching guitar... I can kind of hear it. But they started out with Syd Barrett.

Imagine Nine Inch Nails doing Yellow Submarine...
Imagine Radiohead doing Yellow Submarine...

Yeah, not so easy.

No comments: