Monday, June 20, 2005

Without Me, There's Nothing

Built to Spill played a show here on Friday night. This is them:

built2spill

The guy in the back is Doug Martsch. He more often than not looks like some sort of half-crazed mountain man, but the man plays absolutely amazing guitar and sings in what is quite possibly the sweetest voice going. I heart him in a way that is probably dangerous.

Was that show on Friday one of the best shows I’ve seen? Yes it was. Did they play the shit out of “Dystopian Dream Girl”, one of my favorite songs by them and one that I’ve waited about 8 years to hear them do live? Yes they did. Was it the second song of the set? Yes it was. Will this posting be a series of questions that I will then immediately answer? Quite possibly.

I got a little worried when they hit the stage Skynyrd style with 3 guitarists, but their sound was so full and powerful all fears were driven to Modesto in some sort of super car, black and doing mach 5. They jammed out a couple of songs that do not normally get that sort of treatment and the audience, a sold out and large audience, was with them every step of the way. God damn! That’s all I can say…

Nope, actually I can say more. They played one brand new song, which we got to hear last year in San Francisco too, that is so good that I can still hear the ghosts of it bouncing around in my head. Again the entire crowd just dove in. When the song was over a guy behind me asked if it was a cover. I told him it was a new song and he said it was really good. I gave him what I can only assume was a John Cusack in High Fidelity “I know”.

Greta May once said that Built to Spill should be the soundtrack to our lives. Chris responded with, “They are”.

He was right. God damn!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hot diggity.

billy, i'm sorry i missed you this weekend. did you notice the stature i made of you and bethy's likeness(es) out of tofu impaled to the top of the space needle? i knew those goddamned tofu scrambles were good for something.

xoxo

Anonymous said...

meant to say statue. although your stature is nothing less than majestic.

Anonymous said...

I knew something was in the air... there was an unmistakable Herbinson aroma in the monorail ride over to the Space Needle.

And I'll show you majestic stature! That probably works better if you can hear the dirty inflection in my voice.

You should have called us in your drunken journey, we're a block away from Dick's. I could've rubbed your hair and called you pretty! Alas, another time...