Thursday, June 23, 2005

You're Cordially Invited to Rest Stop 27

My email has been down for the second day in a row and I’m getting a little angry.

This is even more frustrating as I laugh at those people who become paralyzed by technology breaking down with one of those deep-throated, ‘I fucking told you so’ laughs. It’s irony I tells ya! Mary Shelley and Stanly Kubrick would be sadly shaking their heads at me right now if they were here.

Which frankly, would be really weird.

I feel cut off and isolated, and I feel ridiculous for feeling this way. That’s way too much feeling! Yahoo is messing with my mind.

This is the same uncomfortable feeling that I get when I suddenly get all uncomfortable realizing that I’ve left my cell phone at home. A cell phone that I’ve only had for about 8 months mind you. A cell phone that I managed to get by without for over 30 years!

How does this happen? How have we duped ourselves into feeling nervous when there is an electronic communication breakdown? Frankly this is frustration that I don’t need, but I cannot convince myself that this is true. And this pissses me off!

I feel a storm of anger and apprehension under my calm, professional exterior that I’m doing my best to push down and keep down.

It reminds me of the feeling I would get when my parents made me go to bed early and there were people over visiting. I knew that there was a party going on, but I was being blocked from enjoying it. That’s what I feel like! There’s a gang of my favorite people, partying at a rest stop off the highway, but the exit has been blocked off to me.

I miss you guys… Sniff!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When we get used to immediate contact, if you don't have a vehicle for instant communication, you feel left out. So therefore its not your "leaving something at home", or "not having access to communications" which bothers you... it is the loss of immediate gratification that you are suffering withdrawls from.

That said, I get a major kick out of the fact that you are posting--on a blog--about your lack of a cell phone/email access. How 21st century, you ol' curmudgeon!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, well I don't get enough attention if I write this shit in my "hard copy" journal.

Anonymous said...

It becomes REALLY bad that you think something is wrong when--within a 5 minute period--you can't reach your wife via instant message, cell phone, work phone, home phone, text message, and then work email... just to find out that she was in the crapper.