Monday, June 13, 2005

I've Got One Hand In My Pocket

It’s been 10 years to the day since the release of Alanis Morisette’s “Jagged Little Pill”. I know, you’re thinking to yourself, “Billy, why the fuck do you know that?” I would tell you something sarcastic and untrue under normal circumstances, but I’m pressed for time today.

My new employer is releasing an acoustic version of said album in celebration of that 10 year anniversary. What does Starbucks have to do with “Jagged Little Pill”? I have no freaking idea. Who cares about the anniversary and release of this acoustic album? Apparently one desperate woman in Canada.

This woman, let’s call her Nancy – that seems Canadian enough for me right now – was practically in tears as she complained about not being able to purchase this album today as the store never had it shipped to them. “It’s like celebrating your birthday two days later” she whimpered.

Isn’t it ironic? Isn’t it?

Now I don’t hate Alanis Morisette, but I’m not a particularly huge fan either. And yeah, I understand that fan need – way too well. If Built To Spill released an acoustic version of “Perfect From Now On”, I’d hurt somebody trying to get to the record store.

But here’s my point: If let’s say Sonic Boom Records did not have that CD available on that day (and yeah, don’t get me wrong, I’d whine about it something awful) it would never enter my mind to call the corporate office of said record store in a tearful state. Especially if I lived out in the middle of nowhere Canada!

Ultimately, we shouldn’t be able to get whatever we want whenever we want it. We are becoming very spoiled people and some of us need to suck it up a little bit.

Jeesh!

…I did kind of freak out when I couldn’t find Wild At Heart on DVD back in December though…

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a definate desperation and a noticable temper tantrum at a Tower Records when Wild at Heart wasn't available.
Have you even watched it?

Anonymous said...

I watched it the day I finally got it! You can't hide behind your anonymous-ness forever you know...

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, an acoustic version of the album leaves out some of the best parts... (i.e. Flea and Dave Navarro).

Anonymous said...

Man. I used to be all over Dave Navarro's dick - he was hot, played smoking guitar on two amazing albums... But now he's kind of a cheeser. He married Carmen Electra, he's hosting the unfortunate excuse for a television show where they audition a new singer for INXS...

Flea though, still cool.

And frankly, INXS should have quit it years ago. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

WHAT!? A reality show to audition INXS singers? How did they rope Dave into THAT mess?

Anyhow, I disagree on Dave's new suckitude. He played smoking guitar on two amazing albums, went solo, then joined RHCP for one great album, then went solo again and put out another great (albeit pop-metal) album, then got paid up the wazzoo to promote himself getting married to Hotty McHottington and playing in his new/old band in on a Mtv reality series. Plus he has great hair.

Pure genius.