Tuesday, January 24, 2006

12

I am not a big football fan. I’m not into it. I can try to feign interest in it, but I usually fail miserably. The truth is that football bores the piss out of me. I’ve noted that to football fans and have been treated to impromptu lectures that usually involve –

1) How can it bore you? (In a shouting, incredulous and angry tone)
2) The beauty and ballet of battle.
3) Being accused of being un-American and gay.

As a child, my father regularly dragged me to football games, and I have to hand it to him for his dogged perseverance. I dreaded these days as they were HOURS of mind numbing boredom for me, but he never understood this because he loved football. One time, I brought a book with me to read during a game.

I have never heard the end of this. Even to this day. In fact, my non-football watching was brought up at my wedding reception…

All of that being said, The Seahawks, the Seattle football team, the team that I “rooted for” as a kid (due simply to my geographic location), is going to the Superbowl.

While I didn’t watch the entire game, I did tune in to watch the last 10 minutes or so. And I have to say that I got a little emotional watching this team win the game. I was suddenly flooded with Seahawks knowledge that I had picked up and forgotten as a child. I remembered quarterback Jim Zorn coming to visit my first grade class because he knew my teacher somehow. I remember it being a big deal that Steve Largent was featured on a bag of chips or something. I was amazed that I remembered all of this despite my inherent dislike of the game.

I felt proud for this team, proud for the fans that had waited so many years to see this team go far. I felt excited for the coach, taking this team to the Superbowl for the first time in the team’s history.

Who knows, I might even watch me some Superbowl this year. My dad would be so proud…

3 comments:

mandy said...

12th man rise Bill. 12th man rise.

Anonymous said...

Shannon is a Broncos fan.

There must be a Denver connection there or something; but I just learned that she used to be really into football (ah, the things we find out in our thrid year of marriage!). We talked about having a Superbowl party too if they won. We would call it Nerf and Nerds, and invite all our geeky friends over with their laptops to enjoy some snacks and the healthy american sport of football. (But mostly for snack, internet, and cute commercials). I proposed that everyone would be required to only talk via instant messenger and drink at least 2 redbulls upon entrance.

Fortunately, the Broncos are not going to the Superbowl.

However, this got me thinking about football fans--and most other sports fan for that matter--and the passion they exhibit. Now I often get called a nerd because I have a small passion for a local computer company with a fruity name. However, I don't collect cards with the employees faces on it; I prefer not to wear apparel with oversize company logos and slogans on it; I never paint my face with the companys colors; and while I do follow what is happening with the company, I never go to huge gatherings on a weekly basis to memorize statistics and cheer. So then, why then am I considered the nerd/geek/dweeb? Just because technology is involved? Quite strange. It is high-time the followers of technology rise up in revolution to change the social norm and to re-point the nerdism back onto the jocks who truly deserve it as a birthright.

Oh and Bill, football is much more tollerable after a few beers and nachos. Something that was probably missed for you as a child (or at least we all hope so... although, that would explain a lot).

Anonymous said...

kc, your revolution is commendable, but jocks can typically kick the asses of techno-geeks.

I think that this is why they get the nerd/geek/dweeb label. Those with the physical prowess can throw out the insults if they so choose. That's in the bible...