Friday, January 27, 2006

Deep Bluey-Gooey Sea

I have fish on the brain. Not literally, that would be weird, but today is one of those days where my mind keeps returning to the idea of fish; live ones, not necessarily swimming, but not battered and fried either.

I’m not going to try to pretend that I know what that’s about, but a possible explanation may be the “ooze tube”
bluey-gooey
This is the “ooze tube” as it’s properly called, but we here refer to it as the Bluey-Gooey.

Heavy into the Bluey-Gooey am I. What is now an “office toy” was what we affectionately called a “trip toy” back in the day. It’s the sort of thing that I would have spent hallucinatory hours watching as slow moving ooze and bubbles percolate.

As hallucinogens are frowned upon at work, I watch it sober, but it still has the same power to draw me in and slow down and ease my mind. There’s constant shifting, constant subtle changes, and occasional big changes like a giant bubble floating to the top of a sludgy sea.

I’m also a little obsessed lately with getting the correct earphone in the correct ear; making sure the one with the little “R” goes into the right ear. This is not so I am assured the correct aural experience, but that I am worried about a time/space rift opening in my mind if the left ear is filled with what was meant for the right. For some reason, I think this would happen while listening to the band Phish.

I’m so high right now…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember that really old recording of 3-d sounds where you could listen to it on headphones and actually hear the different noises going around your space? (Ik now Mike knows exactly what I am talking about, so maybe he remembers the name). Anyhow, there was this one thing which was an electric razor buzzing and which sounded like you were actually shaving.

What I am wondering is that if you swapped your headphones, would it sound like it was actually shaving your head?