Thursday, January 19, 2006

"We Did Dance Though..."

At the moment I’m having these strange coincidences bouncing around with bad 80’s bands. I’m apparently also having a stroke as it took me no less than five times to type that first sentence correctly.

Okay, we were at Chez Gaudy the other night and somebody brought up the band Shalamar. Yup, Shalamar. They were doing a nice Dennis Miller, obscure reference thing, and I knew exactly who they were talking about. Wait for it, I’ll come back…

Skip ahead to me researching the band Re-Flex (not just a flex people, a RE-flex), that one hit wonder that wrote “The Politics of Dancing”. Their song was going to go into Footloose, but do you know what the producers went with instead?

That’s right, Shalamar’s Dancing in the Sheets. See it’s clever cause it’s like “Dancing in the Streets”, but it’s sheets instead. It’s a double entendre for sex. It’s so fucking clever…

For those of you not familiar with Footloose, for fuck’s sake do not pollute your mind with it now, Kevin Bacon or no, fun and boppy Kenny Loggins theme or no. It’s too late for the rest of us.

And for the rest of us: The scene where bad girl and preacher’s daughter Lori Singer sneaks an elicit “rock” tape into the drive thru and all the kids start dancing to the groovy tune, especially the guy that looks like he’s having some sort of relations with the Pac-Man machine, the song playing on the soundtrack is Shalamar’s Dancing in the Sheets.

I’m not sure what the point of this is, only that I can only assume that KajaGooGoo will turn up in a conversation soon…

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my god! That's like so wierd, cause on Monday I said "double entendre" to someone and then on Wednesday I brought up Footloose and Kevin Bacon!
KajaGooGoo is probably just around the corner. I'm gonna go look for them right now.

Anonymous said...

When you see them, tell them they should totally get back into the studio and cover Pat Benatar's "Hell Is For Children"

Unknown said...

I think they should do Quarterflash's "Harden my Heart", too.

Anonymous said...

Okay, no joke... I fucking love Quarterflash's "Harden My Heart"!

Anonymous said...

i had a quarterflash 3/4 sleeve t-shirt in the 80's

sing along now...

i'm gonna harden my heart
i'm gonna swallow my tears
i'm gonna turn and le-heave you-hoo heeerreeee
i'm gonna harden my heart

Anonymous said...

Billy,
You just blew my mind.
I am working as assistant house manager for the Musical Theatre Works production of "Footloose".
Last night was final dress rehearsal.
That’s right grade school kids performing the songs, doing the dance steps and arguing for and against dancing in school.
How F'ed up is that? Wait there's more. With only 6 boys in the 52-person cast there is a lot of gender reassignments going on.
It is by far the weirdest piece of musical theatre I have ever witnessed.

http://www.musicaltheatreworks.org/upcoming.html

Tonight is the Opening Night Gala – 6pm. Tickets are available at the door.