Friday, February 24, 2006

Driving By Fate

My senior year in high school, I ditched a lot of school. When it all came down, after my English teacher (ironic, in a way) made the call that busted me, Mr. VanLeuvan, the Dean of Students, stated that I may have the record for number of days skipped.

While I enjoyed that little tidbit, the parents were less than thrilled.

Most of the days that I ditched I simply spent driving around Southern California; out by the beach, up to Hollywood, through the as of then undeveloped back canyons.

Damon - my compatriot, my comrade, my brother in arms - and I developed a little driving game called 'Fate Driving'. This came out of our inability to often think of something to do to entertain ourselves. I don't remember the exact rules, but depending on what the stoplight was doing when you reached it (color, green arrow showing, flashing, etc.); you made a left, a right or continued forward depending on the preset rules.

On ditching school one day, we went for a round of Fate Driving only to end up at the head offices for the school district. We realized that it might be a sign and headed back to school.

We also invented a game called "Hot Box the Bathroom with the Strobe Light in Full Effect"...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think we have already talked about this, but I too has a driving game. (Must be something about Southern California that does that to you). My game went like this:

1. Find a destination (usually this was my girlfriends house or home after dropping her off, as she didn't have a car and I did a lot of this sort of driving).

2. Don't stop driving. If you come to a stoplight, turn right. Right being the only legal way to turn on a red light. (technically you could stop in the game to make sure it was safe to turn right)

3. Try and make it to your destination without hitting a dead end.

Fun game. I got pretty good at it after a while. However, most of the time I was playing, it was really late in the morning. Ah, nothing like teen love... dropping your girl off in the wee hours of the morning with serious blue balls.

Also, in college a different girlfriend and I invented a game in which one person would drive for 20 minutes while the other one was blindfolded in the passenger seat. Then we would switch and try to make it back home. Fun.