Friday, February 10, 2006

Good Morning

This morning was one of my favorite kinds of mornings; cold and absolutely clear. It's mornings like this that make me resent having to get out of bed a little less. I remember a number of years ago in San Francisco, I was growing tired of my tiny apartment and my job and was generally feeling like SF was losing its charm for me, but that absolutely clear winter light just wrapped around everything in a way that made me fall in love with the city all over again.

And, to derail myself for a moment, I have this mild obsession with running into people here in Seattle that I went to grade school with. I keep looking into strangers faces and trying to find the child in there, searching for a glimmer of recognition in myself. I'm weaving these threads together, hang on...

While I was walking out of the front door this morning, the cold making me wince a little, my eyes widened again at the sight of the pale blue sky just tinged with yellow and pink. And Chris walked by. Well someone that I imagine Chris would look like in his thirties walked by. I turned my head west to follow him, to get a clear look, when I got a glimpse of Puget Sound.

Not only was the sound glassy and reflecting all that soft, early morning light, but the Olympic Mountains were clear and sharply defined, pink glowing off of all of that snow. It had felt like months since I had seen those mountains, and they were glorious.

And then, like the morning was saying, "man, I'm so proud of you for getting up early and walking around", I saw Mount Rainier, to the east, shining in low, red, morning radiance.

The ipod this morning had a hard on esoteric instrumentals, perfect for a long walk and just letting your mind go. Just a great, great morning.

No comments: