Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Peek-A-Boo

Okay, I didn't want to use this blog for baby stuff, didn't want to get into that all-baby talk that some parents assume is just as fascinating to the rest of the world as it is to them. But...

We went and got a sonogram yesterday. There is an actual baby inside that bump on Biffy's stomach. There are hands and feet and a freaking spine, which all things considered is a good thing, but seems a little freaky when you realize they are up inside your wife.

I was doing fine watching this fetus flicker on the screen, it all seemed a little unreal - as does this whole fatherhood thing by the by. It wasn't until we saw the brain, the two hemispheres of the brain, and the pumping heart that I got a little overwhelmed. Not in a "holy shit, I don't know how to be a dad" way, but in a "holy shit, I helped make that" kind of way. I just sat there as still as possible, barely breathing, feeling tears come.

One of the ways I've been able to sort of deal with this rationally and without taking a one way trip to Tierra Del Fuego, is to compare it to the reproduction of plants. I don't know, bringing myself down to the level of plant life makes me realize that this thing isn't a bigger deal than what we are built to do. But seeing all of these body parts... And a face!

It made me realize how amazing this is, us and plants. It made me think of our little critter all wrapped up in a mini-ocean in there, and I wondered if they would eventually have the same love of the sea that I do. It made me realize that there were so many things I couldn't wait to show them, so many people I couldn't wait to introduce them to.

Pretty wild...

9 comments:

mandy said...

omg, if I have tears in my eyes, beth must be sobbing.....

<3

Unknown said...

wait until it wraps its tiny little hand around your one of your fingers, dude.
:)
you're gonna be an awesome dad.

Anonymous said...

Huh, I wonder what it says about me that I kept comparing it to the fetus at the end of 2001...in my belly.

Anonymous said...

You're going to love it in Tierra Del Fuego.

Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but sometime before the 18th birthday.

Anonymous said...

i'm going too!

Anonymous said...

That place looks super nice! Can I go too?

http://images.google.com/images?q=Tierra%20Del%20Fuego

Anonymous said...

xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo.

mandy said...

man. i watched the movie.
thats pretty fuckin incredible...
alien eyes. perfect spine.

Anonymous said...

she said it was my child!