Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Taste The Rainbow

I first saw him on New Years Day, 2005. I was sitting at the little table by the kitchen window, finishing up some breakfast and coffee and he came walking down the street from Broadway and heading down towards the Seattle Center.

"And his New Year's resolution was to add more color to his life," I dryly said to Biff.

She looked out the window and started laughing; not at him, but at my perfectly timed and executed observational humor. The he in question was a tall and thin man, dressed all in blue. ALL in blue, robin's egg blue. Pants, top and hat (a beret if I remember correctly), all matching exactly, and all set off by the vibrantly dyed hair (both facial and on top of the head. While unable to see from my vantage point, I am assuming that the pubes were also the color of some animal from tropical climes.

He took on the temporary name Blue Guy, at least in my head. Forgive me for the obviousness...

I've seen him in the neighborhood a few times since, not always the same color, but always a color - a bright color, that is the same from head to toe - and hair adjusted to a point you would think he had stock in Manic Panic. At first it smacked of trying a little too hard, of looking for a little too much attention, and to be honest it still does a bit, but I saw him this weekend and had a little more of a charitable view of him.

The guy who had been rechristened Color Man wandered into Charlie's this weekend, dressed in a yellow that I could only think to describe as Easter bunny yellow. I'm guessing that Charlie's is a normal hang out for Color Man as I've seen him there before, and the servers appeared to know what he wanted. He gracefully walked across the restaurant, a vision in canary, and I thought...

"Yeah, he may be screaming out for attention, but he's adding this blast of color to everyone's day and not just his. And I sort of appreciate that."

So go on with your bad self Color Man, I stand behind you. And I request something in a Kelly green.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

His brother, the Other-Color Man, lives in our hood. He sticks with bright, neon colors and sometimes will throw a pattern in. His hair color doesn't always match his outfit, but his eyeglass frames do.

Anonymous said...

Ooooh, I'm totally gonna recommend the eyeglass frames thing! Yeah, my Color Man's hair rarely matches his outfits either.

Admittedly, it's a little more difficult to change your hair color than your clothes I guess.