Thursday, July 13, 2006

Zu Essen

Ah Germans, they make a mean Schnitzel! There's something about German food that speaks to my soul, which is odd as my soul doesn't speak German. But I think there's something about all those muddled Scandinavian/English/Irish lines within me that just occasionally craves meat and potatoes and cabbage. Oh yeah, and big 'ol glasses of beer.

Last night I had me some sausage and sauerkraut (effing good sauerkraut)
Bratandkraut
(thanks to Kyle for the picture)

I had me a number of different German beers, and Schnitzel with fries and red cabbage. Red cabbage that I wanted to throw into the middle of the table and fuck by the way, it was so good.

I was taken back to the beer hall in Munich where I gorged myself on a variety of sausages and mugs of beer nearly the size of my head. I was reminded of a birthday dinner at Suppenkuche in San Francisco where I had venison with blueberry sauce (yup, Bambi and blueberries) that made me so happy I felt like I was high.

I don't know, there's just something about German food that makes me content in a way other foods don't. I don't get the romantic satiation that I get with Italian, or the swooning sort of everything can go wrong at any moment and isn't it great feeling I get with Cajun... It's like a moment of reflection, it's like reading a good book, it's like anything done with a simple elegance that makes you quietly say, "yes".

I was beat this morning, probably because the body was busy all night trying to digest the Jurassic sized slab of fried meat I ate, but totally worth it. In my bleary-eyed preparations this morning I did also crave that European breakfast of cold cuts and bread, spreadable cheeses and strong, black coffee.

Yes.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

you must have a prussian living inside of you.

AGF said...

You're welcome!

And I know exactly what you mean.

Anonymous said...

You like beer?