Thursday, October 26, 2006

Not All Who Meander Are Lost

Come here, follow me for a second. Here, grab my hand…

Bif and I were walking out of the apartment the other night and both happened to be looking up the street at the same time. Two fall brown leaves had chosen that moment let loose the tree and float to the street within the cone of the streetlight. As she was raising her hand to point it out to me, I began laughing at the giddy rush that comes with miraculously catching those little moments in life. She asked what I was laughing at and I told her it was the same thing she was going to show me.

Synchronicity, which was the answer a Jeopardy player gave to a question regarding an album by the Police. The correct answer was actually Ghost in the Machine. What the hell happened to Sting? The guy turned into the worst kind of cheeseball, adult contemporary schmaltz-fest. The man came up with some of the effing kickingest bass lines of the 80's, the guy played with the Police.

On the walk in this morning, there was police activity a couple blocks north of the building. From a distance, it looked like serious business - lots of flashing lights and cruisers in the middle of the street. My mind ran rampant with theories; sniper, high tech heist of the Krispy Kreme, beginning of the zombie apocalypse. It appeared that some time before there had been a spill on the road of some sort - fuel, I'm guessing. The cops were leaving and a sole hazmat guy was spreading a brown, powdery substance on the road. I'm not sure the substance did what it was intended to because as I walked by the cold fall wind picked the stuff up and blew it around in swirling sand eddies. It looked like outtakes from Lawrence of Arabia.

Desert islands? Are there such things? Every time I see islands, there seems to be at least some trees and not just stretches of dunes. I think they may be the thing of childhood myths; like vampires, moon men and fair and equal treatment under the law. I guess I can see how someone from the grasslands of Middle America could see the large amounts of beach as desert.

I've been trying to avoid watching Lost, trying to avoid TV in general. I sat down for a second while Bif watched last night and got suckered in, yet again. God damn you Lost! At least I could rationalize it by playing guitar while I watched, like I was multitasking.

I'm trying to teach myself to play slide guitar. I'm trying to find the inner motivation to be at home and write, to work on the larger ideas that are floating around in my head. I'm trying to ignore the burning rage I feel when I'm bombarded with constant stories of celebrities adopting children. Apparently buying children is to A-list celebrities what obvious plastic surgery is to the lesser ones. It's fucking awesome...


Rocktober song of the day: Going back to Zeptember for a moment, and ignoring the ubiquitous Cadillac commercials it is featured in, today's pick is the still powerful Rock & Roll by Led Zeppelin.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm...no comments...that's unusual.

i think sting and john tesh are one and the same. there's just no other explanation for sting's downward spiral into easy listening. except yoga. and trudie.

Billy Badgley said...

Yeah, I guess staying hard for 9 hours makes you soft in other places...