Thursday, October 05, 2006

Some Things I Do Like:

I like lists, they're fun to me. I also like the film maker Peter Greenaway, who himself seems to be a fan of lists as they appear in most of his films. This is apropos of nothing, unless I was making a list of favorite film makers, but I'm not. I also like derailing myself with randomness. God bless you randomness.

I was getting a tasty beverage in the kitchen when I smelled someone cooking their Pop Tarts in the toaster and I thought, "Man, I love the smell of Pop Tarts in a toaster." I was then flooded with a variety of other smells that I loved before I could really even stop to ask myself what smells I loved.

For your perusal, Top Ten Favorite Smells (in no particular order):

1) Pop Tarts Cooking in a Toaster
- Particularly the Cinnamon-Brown Sugar variety.
2) Puget Sound
- I always assumed it was the salt water smell of the ocean that I was enamored of, and it is, but I have found in particular it is the Puget Sound that really speaks to me. There's something particular to it, something with the tar of the pilings, or the cold, or the salt, or all of those wooded islands, I don't know.
3) Fresh Brewed Coffee
- If contentment could have a smell, I'm fairly sure it would smell like coffee. It just makes me think of happy mornings even if I'm about to enter into a shitty one.
4) Fresh Baked Anything
- Walking through the streets of North Beach in San Francisco on an early Saturday and smelling the bakeries do their thing made me happy to be alive that very moment in time.
5) Biffy's Pillow When She's Not There
- Not a decent replacement for her by any means, but it's a nice memento to hold onto until her return.
6) Sex
- Something about the sweaty, funky, heavy smell of screwing just makes me want to fuck all over again.
7) Back Stage
- I remember smelling it in high school and thinking to myself that I would remember this smell, and be fond of it, forever; a mad mixture of wood and paint and actor sweat and dust that makes me feel like I'm at home.
8) Garlic
- It reaches in and latches on to a desire and hunger that I didn't know was even there. It reminds me of thousands of amazing meals I've yet to have.
9) Old Books
- Somewhere between musty and spicy. Just makes me want to smile a cryptic smile, wrap up in a long coat and wander around a gray day.
10) Wineries
- It's the combination of the vibrant and wild smells of the wine and the solid smell of the wooden barrels it's kept in. It smells like tradition well worth holding onto.


Rocktober song of the day: Saints (single version) by The Breeders

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, what about curry? not the spice, the musical?

Anonymous said...

and also: goddamn it, billy! have you slammed a tim tam yet? i am awaiting your impression.

Billy Badgley said...

Jen jen,

I did try a Tim Tam Slam. I enjoyed it enough to quickly have another. But after all the talk, the long wait, the ceremony of doing it, I felt it was a little overhyped. But then I got over myself and realized it was good shit.

p.s. The musical exists on a plane above mere favorite lists... it's eternal!

mandy said...

cumin.
you forgot cumin.

Anonymous said...

I just freshly baked something that you can smell.

Anonymous said...

Out of all of those, I'd have to say there's nothing like a perfectly warmed Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Pop Tart. Delicioso!