Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Small Magic

I know that you have no way of knowing it, but in that moment when you go from shrieking to quiet contemplation, watching my fingers move around guitar strings, my mind gets a little lost in that magic trick.

And a little further on in the trick, when you smile at my hands and then look up and smile at me I get a little overwhelmed at the thought of wanting to hold onto that small smile so tight. Can I keep it when the world teaches you that being dispassionate and removed is cool?

I'm feeling all of these possibilities running through the lines, I'm feeling great things coming, I'm all enamored of those little things today, thankful for the small magic in life.

I'm thankful for dinners and lunches with friends, for Sunday afternoon and late May rainstorms that make all of that pulsing green outside that much more vibrant, for sunny day hikes through the city and the things that make a baby laugh. I'm thankful for the love of friends that you sometimes wonder what it is that you've done to deserve it. I'm thankful for sudden bouts of dancing in the kitchen, for The Band's second album The Band, for evenings when the baby goes down easy, for The Simpson’s, for laying on the couch with my lady friend even if it's just for a couple of minutes.

Can I get a hell yeah?


Song Stuck In My Head Right Now: "Creature Song" from the album Ghana by the Mountain Goats

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hell yeah

Anonymous said...

Hells yeah, fo' sheezy.

mandy said...

youre welcome.
i AM a good friend..
(this one WAS about me, right?)

Anonymous said...

yep. it's wonderful being in your life too.

Billy Badgley said...

Mandy, Mandy... The one I was going to write today entitled, "Dirty Whore of Broadway Avenue" was going to be about you.

mandy said...

awww.
heart hug.