Friday, June 01, 2007

I'll Be Running The Other Way

I got out of bed this morning, for the final time, did my bathroom duties and came back into the bedroom to get dressed. I was tired, and as usual not feeling the particular desire to make my way to work, but was enjoying the pale sunlight painting the bed and the walls. I was putting on my boots when it finally dawned on me what that song was that was stuck in my head.

"If You Leave" by OMD was dancing around playfully. "Really?" I thought. "OMD?" OMD, or Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark (and I have to commend the balls to spell Manoeuvers in that way), were the type of poppy synth band that makes a lot of people roll their eyes. I wasn't so much bothered by having the song stuck my head, or by having any song by OMD stuck in my head, as I was confused by why it was there. I hadn’t heard the song anywhere, hadn’t seen anything with the song in it.

"I touch you once, I touch you twice, I won't let go at any price."

I wanted to dramatically throw myself around the bedroom, singing wildly. I did not however want to wake up the wife and kid. So I sort of bopped my head a bit while I put my wallet and lip balm into my pockets and thought about how if I started a synth with strings band I would call it ELOMD.

"If You Leave" came off of the Pretty In Pink soundtrack. So I had thoughts of Molly Ringwald just before she slipped off the cliff of obscurity, of James Spader as the perfect prick, and of Ducky managing to find the girl in the end and thus break the longing he had for an oh-so-80's Molly, instead of running off to college still carrying his torch and then drunkenly having sex with a female friend in the dorms where he would mistake sex for love and walk down the road of a relationship that shouldn't be...

I wondered whatever happened to my tape of the The Best of OMD. Did it get tossed out with the Great Cassette Purge of '96? Quite possibly. I decided that it was probably best not to revisit that ghost, even for another shot at "Tesla Girls", and promptly washed my ears with some PJ Harvey.

8 comments:

mandy said...

lip balm is a government conspiracy.

Billy Badgley said...

Your mom's a government conspiracy.

Anonymous said...

the pretty in pink soundtrack was the best movie soundtrack of all time. i fucking loved that one. listened to it for days on end. omd psychedelic furs suzanne vega. so much teen angst on that. oofdala. good times. so don't bag on the omders man. i mean something got you out of oc with your spirit intact. love it up bill.

Unknown said...

chopper, sick balls...

Anonymous said...

"I got out of bed this morning, for the final time . . ."

What!??

Are you switching to a hammock?

Billy Badgley said...

Man I wish!

Between checking on the baby and random urinations, there are multiple times I get out of bed.

Dave said...

It may be kind of late to comment on this post, but I just wanted to mention that I once saw OMD perform live in New Orleans right after that album came out. Because when else would I ever have a chance to mention that?

Billy Badgley said...

Rarely do you get a chance to brag about seeing OMD in concert, tis true.

I myself got to see them open up for Depeche Mode at the Rosebowl in Pasadena in June of '88. It was a big day... A big, big day.