Thursday, July 19, 2007

Thanks For All Of It

Truly it’s going to sound a little girly, but I had one of those kick in the eye mornings where I realized how effing lucky I am.

I was beat this morning, no lie. I was out late rehearsing a show, had a long and uphill walk home, went for a swim and finally collapsed in my bed a sweaty mess around midnight.

I was tussled from a sound sleep by Bif running out the door to well, go run, and telling me that it appeared Kickers was awake for the morning. And awake for the morning he was. He was in his crib crying it up when I went to go grab him, thinking to myself that “man, I am tired.”

I laid him down in bed with me and started blowing on his hands to warm them up which seemed to occupy his mind long enough to stop crying. I started telling him that I was really very tired, and frankly wasn’t it time that he just calmed his happy ass down and went to sleep. This got him to look up at me with that 2 tooth smile of his.

It was then that I was done for.

I thought about how I was tired because I’d been working the night before with an amazing group of people who are passionate and are taking this show to heart and their roles as actors seriously even though it will turn out to be an hour and a half of dick jokes.

I thought about what a luxury it was to be goofing off with my kid first thing in the morning, how his babbling little proto words are a symphony, how that giggle he has when I rub his nose in an Eskimo kiss is a treasure I never expected – and unfortunately not one I can lock in a safe.

I thought about how kind the universe had treated me in putting in front of me this beautiful, strong and determined woman who makes me feel like I can accomplish any damn thing. I’m not sure whose life I saved in a past life, but they must have been big in Japan, as the kids are saying.

The toast and almond butter breakfast was a feast, the collection of clouds in a cool and sunny morning was worthy of Van Gogh, “I’m Slowly Turning Into You” off the new White Stripes album had my head pumpin’ like an over achieving blow job queen.

Man, when the mornings are good, they’re really good.

No comments: