Monday, September 12, 2005

Postcards From Portland

Portland had always had this strange pull for me, it was always the magic runaway destination, and yet I had never been there until this weekend. Did it contain all the wondrous super city shiny dream stuff that my overactive mind created back when I was 22 and said nearly daily, ‘let’s drive to Portland’? Well, no. But that is a lot to put on a city. Portland was pretty adorable though. Highlights included:

1) Realizing somehow that the Sea Foam Green (which Michael nailed as the correct color) was the color of Portland to me. One of those things you cannot really explain, so just let it roll…
2) Having Jenny give me quarters like a doting mother so I could play the Star Wars video game from the 80’s.
3) Getting good and drunk in Jen and Michael’s adorable apartment, playing a good game of Trivial Pursuit.
4) Drunken macaroni dinner (me drunk, not macaroni) at a fun restaurant where the waiter had an accent that I was guessing was more Welsh than Scottish. Turns out he was from Idaho.
5) Listening to Jenny answer a question I’d asked as if she had just been biding her time and waiting for me to ask it. I walked behind her and smiled at this, a little giddy at just hearing her talk as well as just getting to be around her again.
6) Going out for breakfast with Biff and Jenny (I love going out to breakfast and it was something that Jenny and I were trying to do on a regular basis when we both lived in the Bay Area, but only managed to do once or twice) and enjoying the coziness that fell over me while I sat there drinking coffee and waiting for food and sharing a table with two of the greatest, loveliest ladies around.

Checking out a city I’ve never been to before is always great, but getting to see it through the borrowed eyes of someone who has lived there for years as well as someone still fresh to it is a unique experience. It was also good to know that it was more comforting than weird to be driving home from our first road trip from a new home and realizing it was Seattle we were driving home to.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Checking out a city I’ve never been to before is always great, but getting to see it through the borrowed eyes of someone who has lived there for years as well as someone still fresh to it is a unique experience."

I think this sentence perfectly sums up my first and only trip to Seattle: visiting Bill who had grown up there, moved away, and recently moved back; Chuck who had lived there for the last few years, and Beth who had only lived there for a couple of months... all acting as tour-guide at various times. It was so fun and nice to have 3 unique perspectives all wrapped up into one fantastic adventure... and probably the main reason why I came back to the Bay Area with such an excitement to move North. (Thank you guys, you totally rock!)

Anonymous said...

i would say "come every weekend!", but i fear that the excitement would wear off, your backs would suffer the wrath of repeated stays on that questionable mattress, and meow meow would grow accustomed to you. make no mistake: i love the fact she is so evil to everyone but me.

it was truly a delight seeing you two. i honestly have that post-vacation depression feeling. here is to autumn and soup-and-bread-and-pie long-distance progressive dinners? maybe we could build a pdx - seattle drunk trolley, shuttling us back and forth.

come every weekend!!! !