Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Some Seriously Bad Monkeys

So we closed out The Crucible, and I think that most of the cast felt the same in that we were sad that this was it, that this was a once in a lifetime cast that poured their hearts into this production. But I think we were all a little happy at the same time, as this play is fucking draining. I know I was definitely looking forward to some time off, for a free weekend for the first time in months. But when we went out to take our final bow and I looked across that stage at a line of incredible actresses I had had the fortune to work with, I got a little weepy.

I know we put on a powerful show and that feels fantastic. Reggie came to see it and walked out so tense and upset, that it was great. I mean not for her, but knowing we were able to so powerfully affect one member of the audience was validation for something I was already pretty sure of.

We had to pull down the sets and clean everything in the theater – including painting the men’s dressing room walls - after the final show. We did cut the blow with beer and wine and pizza – a great witch/devil soundtrack featuring the Rolling Stones and Stevie Wonder… No ELO though, seriously where was Evil Woman?

People began to split off as the night wore on, people hugged, people said goodbye, people told each other how proud they were to have worked with one another – and meant it. It finally got down to about 8 or 9 people heavily drinking, heavily slurring and doing some sort of freeform Irish square dancing. By the time we all did a sing along to Bohemian Rhapsody, I had done about five handstands and attempted the splits twice… Yeah, I’m feeling it today.

I stumbled out of the theater after 6 AM, saying my farewells to the director and assistant director and to Heather, who played Elizabeth Proctor so amazingly well. I headed home as the sky was fully coming alive, carrying a chair that couldn’t fit in anybody’s car, holding my head up and tears back knowing that I was walking away from one of the most fulfilling theater experiences I will probably ever have.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Speaking of actor sweat...

This was a very warm theater, during a particularly warm summer, with a lot of lights and a very small and cramped men's dressing room...

You might be inclined to think otherwise, but MAN did that room stink.

Anonymous said...

oh billy, i'm so glad it went so marvelously well, and i'm so mad i didn't get me arse up there in time to watch it.

Anonymous said...

Damn you and you fantastic acting in overwhelming theater productions held in towns that I can't get to readily.