Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Spirit In The Dark

I heard Aretha Franklin singing on the radio this weekend. A fourteen year old Aretha Franklin singing on a bad recording, and it made the tiny hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I couldn’t help but smile like a goof, all the while tiny tears falling as those shivers ran down my back. That girl made one of those amazing storms where the sun still shines through the rain.

It made me think of Janis too, how every time I hear her sing Cry Baby, no matter how many times I hear it, I cry a little and smile like I’ve found that rough but beautiful path to heaven. It kills me to know that she had found what she was supposed to do, she was doing what she was supposed to do – I mean you could hear it in that gloriously dirty voice – and it still wasn’t enough to fulfill her.

They’re beautifully scarred woman, these sacred ladies of mine, lifting a simple song into something that shakes the soul.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

one of the reasons why billy is such an important asset to humanity is he cries when he listens to ladies on the radio.

Anonymous said...

amen, sista