Tuesday, March 21, 2006

High Hopes, Record Store Folks

Maybe I've just gotten lucky, but maybe, just maybe, it's how the people working at record stores behave in Seattle. On my last two experiences with purchasing CD's, I have not been treated like an interloper in the land of the uberhip. Where is the derisive attitude? Where is the smirking? Where is the I-know-everything-get-out-of-my-store-as-you're-interrupting-my-listening-to-this-band-that-only-I-will-ever-appreciate-on-a-level-that-is-worthwhile cold shoulder that I am so used to?

A few months back, I was picking up a CD of a band I had just seen at a show. At the counter, I could feel my shoulders hunched up, waiting for the full fall of the counterman's judgment on my musical taste. The guy looked at the CD, then looked at me questioningly. "I've been meaning to check these guys out. They're pretty good?"

I think I was so shocked that I just stood there for a second, mouth wide open and jaw moving up and down.

This weekend, I did a little music shopping at a store that had an even bigger hipness index than the last place. I was looking over my purchases before going up to the register. What would my selections say about me to this guy I may never see again, and whose opinion really should not matter to me in the least? Were they esoteric enough? The guy had a black indie band T-shirt, goatee and piercings, your typical sort of record store worker uniform. He glanced at the pick that I was most excited about, as it was sorta hard to find. This is when he busted out, "I think we have a used copy of this. If you want, I'll go grab it for you."

What? Seriously, what the fuck was happening here?

I guess I'm still used to the San Francisco record store jockey with a chip the size of Sun Studios on his shoulder; the guy or gal whose sole mission in life is to deem what exactly has enough street cred to be worthwhile. The sort of person who will not only ignore you, but will make snarky comments about your picks to their coworkers while you stand there seething, hoping against hope that you see them at some awful all ages show where you can clock them with a full bottle of Rolling Rock. That's right Amoeba Records counter wage slave, I like the band Cake. P.S. You're band sounds like a dispassionate version of a sober Husker Du, and the reason you haven't had any label interest or haven't been booked into a better venue is not because you're misunderstood, it's because you suck.

I’m sure these guys haunt some of the stores around town, but I’m psyched by my couple of experiences. I’m looking forward to a visit where the clerk says something along the lines of, “Oh hey, if you like these guys you should really check out…” The thought of music fans appreciating the passion and spreading knowledge without judgment, well it makes me smile. I dream, I hope against hope…


Song Stuck In My Head Right Now: Steady Rollin’ by the Two Gallants

3 comments:

mandy said...

i bought a smoosh album (um...for my niece) at easy street and was also waiting for the raised eyebrow, slight snicker, and deflation of my self esteem... but the guy said, "they are actually pretty good for their age."

i reciprocated with a raised eyebrow, and slight snicker...

loser.

Unknown said...

dude. you gotta show the uberhip some love by glaring at them like you just fucked their mother in the ass with your dick and two dildos while their dad sang Dixie and gave you a rim job. treat like the bitches they are, is all I'm saying.
wow. i think i may have some issues with those people.
feel free to delete this.

Anonymous said...

Delete it? Hell, I'm gonna have it put on a T-shirt!