Saturday, April 01, 2006

To Do It, Or Not To Do It

The director for the show that I am currently in wants me to come do a Shakespeare in the park show she's directing this summer. I try to have this philosophy that if a part is gimme, I take it; it's not often that someone just hands a part over to you. But the thing is, I'm not a big Shakespeare fan.

A lot of this anti-Bard attitude comes from my one and only experience doing Shakespeare in the basement of a pizza parlor. There was the awful, the-louder-and-more-overly-dramatic-I-perform-everything-the-more-Shakespearean-it-becomes acting. There was the "Shakespeare queens", I mean actors can be really annoying at times, but some Shakespeare actors make you want to do your best at slitting your own throat with prop knives. There was the director without a firm grasp of the English language. There was the lead actor who never bothered to memorize his lines completely...

I was of the mind that if I really fear doing something so badly, I should fucking do it then. But then I looked at the schedule which would take up over two months. That's a lot of dedication to doing something I'm not crazy about, and doing it in a park.

Sort of the fence, but sliding one way...

3 comments:

mandy said...

doing it in a park is fun.

Anonymous said...

Do the show. You have nothing to fear. There is NO FREAKIN' WAY the cast from the pizza place will be in this show. Just don't mention "the scottish play".

Anonymous said...

I vote "go for it".