Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Pros And Cons Of Summertime

I don't want to get into a huge thing about the weather, but it's getting into summer mode here. While it's not as hot here as in other places that I've lived, our apartment for some reason collects the heat it hides in the winter and throws it out in celebration of the summer sun. So, after much sweating and little sleeping, I'm a tad out of sorts today.

I saw my dad this weekend. We ate at a restaurant on the water and the view was so much like looking out on Angel Island in San Francisco Bay that it was messing with my mind a little bit. I'm glad to see my dad take it a little easier as he gets older, see him willing to share his sense of humor a little more. But I'm more than a little bemused by his call for my dedication to a dream of his that he can't even commit to.

Biff, sorry for the fight. Thank you for the idea of getting into the lake, that felt good.

Mandy and Jason, thank you for the dinner and laughs, sorry about the bugs.

Now... The Miami Vice movie, was there that great a desire for this to happen? Seriously, was there a chorus of voices screaming into the ether for this crappy 80's television show to be reborn in the form of a film, the show that almost single-handedly brought pastels and rolled up sleeves on jackets into fashion? Have people not learned by this point that films based on television shows are pretty much guaranteed to be shit? Has there been a movie based on television series that was worth a rental price? Starsky and Hutch, maybe.

Where's the Diff'rent Strokes remake movie? Which relentlessly untalented young actress could possibly outdo that sex kitten Dana Plato?

And Click? Really? Adam Sandler gets a "universal remote" that allows him to control the universe. And one of the tricks he uses it for is to ogle a female jogger's bouncing breasts when he slows her down. Yup, funny stuff. Okay, I'm being critical of this before I've disdainfully passed the box in the video store, but this was an idea - one of being able to stop time while you went and did your thing - that I thought was cool when I was nine.

I remember we used to go to the movies in the summer for the ferocious blast of the air conditioning... I guess I'll have to resort to drinking so much I don't notice the heat, it worked in college.

2 comments:

mandy said...

jason will no longer allow the windows or doors to be opened because of those damn bugs.

dont complain to me about heat.

Anonymous said...

Can I complain about your boyfriend kinda being a pussy?