Thursday, June 15, 2006

Why Would I Be A Liar?

So, a lot like last June, The Mountain Goats and Built To Spill have come to town within days of each other. We saw The Mountain Goats Friday night and Built To Spill last night. And if I were to live up to my anal retentive internal ordering system*, I would write about the mighty Goats first, but I'm revolting today.

I probably should have showered. And not brushed my teeth with a cat ass.

So, effing Built To Spill. Have I mentioned these guys before? I heart this band way too much, and have since I first heard them about 10 years ago. Before I go into superlatives though, I need to vent a bit.

Okay, if you're going to a show, can you do me a favor and SHUT THE FUCK UP! I do not get why in the hell people want to come watch a show, waste their money, insult the performers working their asses off just to prattle on about their inane bullshit. I certainly know I didn't fork over the ticket handling rape charge so I could listen to a few hundred people talk about what they had for lunch, or how that one Coach bag is really adorable, or about that creepy Astin guy in the mailroom. By definition, a concert is not a frat party, don't make me stab you with forks!

Also, some asshole spent the first couple of minutes of the Built To Spill set heckling lead genius Doug Martsch, screaming out things like "you suck" and "you're a sell out". Seriously, who does this? What sort of sociopath pays for a ticket to come insult the band and ruin the experience for everyone around them. To her eternal credit, Biff clawed through the crowd to go tell the guy to shut the hell up.

Oh and ladies, nothing tells your man that you love him like agreeing to go see this band that he's really into even though you don't really know them or care. Oh, and then if you cling to him all night as if losing any sort of physical contact will send him spinning out of your life forever... Hot! And not at all desperate.

Okay, I'm sorry, I feel better. Sometimes I get so frustrated with other concert goers that it makes me not want to go to shows anymore. But then...

I'm not going to try to explain away that tenuous magic that gets wrapped around you and a band that just absolutely works for you, but seeing Built To Spill for me is sort of like riding a roller coaster; I get this fuzzy pinned tickle in my gut and spend a majority of the show with the grin that belongs to the child me running wild for the sake of running wild, seeing fireworks for the first time. I don't know man, they just got what works for me.

Some highlights:
1) The most heartfelt rendition of Car I've heard performed.

2) Goin’ Against Your Mind, Conventional Wisdon, Untrustable, Broken Chairs. These glorious mini epics that kept hitting plateaus and then would take off once again. It was a great reminder that these songs need to be heard live if at all effing possible.

3) Liar. It felt like the man was singing to me. And yeah, I know it sounds like that weirdo fanboy groupie bullshit, but what can I say? The song hit me directly, like it was well aimed.

All right, I've gushed, I've vented... I will say that even though I got home after 1:30 and was completely exhausted, it took me close to an hour to fall asleep with all that beautiful music shimmering through my head.

Thanks Doug, thanks guys.


*I keep my CD's in alphabetical order, and then try to keep them in chronological order within the group - it's a sickness, I'm working on it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I apologize for not putting your cds back in chonological order.

Anonymous said...

Pre-comment note: I think instead of seperating each idea into it's own comment, as I was originally intending---to do to continue yesterday's overzelous kc!-is-a-Bill's-blog-fanboy theme---I will instead post everything here:

1. I totally feel you on the concert rants. People are retarded, and when you gather them in a single space, with only the shared experience of feeling something for a particular piece of music, trouble ensues. I recently produced a rant, albeit a slightly different subject (obligatory hyperlink: www.exkclamation.com). Read and comment and make kc! feel as popular as Bill is.

2. Beth rocks.

3. DUDE! Fuck the wall-o-CDs. You need to get all your music into iTunes and put all those things into storage!! Seriously. Once it is all in the computer, you can organize everything everywhichway!! You can even RATE all your music and sort by specialized genre, composer, and comment feilds--plus much much much more! I am in the process of rating all my music because I use the rating systems to generate dynamic playlists for my iPod (since there is no iPod spacious enough to hold all my music). It is very a technical and complex system that I have devised. If you want, I will lay it all out, but for now.. just know it is totally bodacious.

4. Beth really rocks.

5. Music is fucking awesome. However, I am boycotting concerts from here on out (see point #1's link)

Anonymous said...

I'm not quite ready to let go of the physical yet kc! It's a sick fetish. When I was a teenager I used to line up my cassettes in a block so I could look at all the covers at the same time.

I didn't masturbate to them or anything, but maybe only because I hadn't thought of it.

Anonymous said...

Keep it old school, Billy!

So, um....now that you've thought about it are you gonna?

Anonymous said...

Yeah, in my closet.

Anonymous said...

With all your cassettes and CD's? That's a little weird, dude.

Anonymous said...

Can someone please explain to me what the hell is old school about CDs?

Now if you only had a crapload of records and one super nice mirantz vintage turntable from the 19th century that you played them on, then be my guest--keep it old school. But for fuck's sake, man!

Here is a plan of action... baby steps:
Keep all your CDs in their correct place on the shelf so you can still look at them, but also invest in loading them onto your computer.

Here is the secret:
Step 1. Grab the first row off your shelf and stack the CDs next to the computer.
Step 2. Open iTunes... under Preferences > Advanced > Inporting >> Select "On CD Insert: Import Songs and Eject".
Step 3. Connect your computer to the internet (so it can automatically add the track info on import)
Step 4. Put a CD in the drive and wait until it makes the little eject sound.
Step 5. Repeat step 4 until finished

You don't have to push many buttons, or even un-organize your CD collection.

Enjoy the digital revolution... and, see how long it takes you to forget about that huge wall decoration of plastic squares.

Anonymous said...

Dude-a-lude: Gonna need bigger closets.

kc! While I realize you are being sarcastic, a large of chunk of the CD collection is on the computer. I did however find that attempting to load everything (while putting it on the ipod) was not possible - apparently not enough memory.

Settle down techman, it's under control.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA... why didn't you just say that in the first place!

Granted when you have as large of CD collections as you and I, it becomes a little bit bigger challenge to get all your music loaded, but that is why God invented external storage.