Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Swords, Trains And Auto-Hypnosis

I doubt that it's the proverbial double-edged sword - in fact I don't know if there is a proverbial double-edged sword... In fact, while I don't know much about swords in general, it would make sense that most swords are double edged so as to inflict the most damage, to cut both ways as it were. Is there actually a proverb regarding double-edged swords?

I found this proverb - Give me a good sword and no reason to use it. I like it, peaceful but prepared with a well made weapon. On brief research I also came up with, "Never give a child a sword". This seems more like good advice than a proverb, general common sense. Hopefully this is something that doesn't need to be covered in parenting classes, though knowing the people I deal with on a daily basis, there will eventually be lawsuits against said classes...

"You never told me that givin' ma little one a sword would make it so his daddy's missin' fingers and he's dead. There shoulda beena warnin'!"

And being that with any choice you make there is bound to be a positive side of it as well as a negative, this double edged sword nonsense sounds more like a useless cliché.

Did you ever try to stretch and flatten a penny by putting it on a railroad track for a train to run over? No? It's cool. Did you ever hear that putting a penny on a railroad track can derail a train? I know of something that can derail me pretty quickly, proverbs and double edged swords apparently...

What I was trying to quickly but ineffectively state awhile back is that I love acting. I get a lot out of doing it, but there are drawbacks. An example of drawbacks are, rehearsals everyday for a week, right up until the show opens on Friday. Did I mention that Sunday's rehearsal was 11 hours? Actually I know I didn't, I am the one writing this...

And that's fine, 11 hours of being in a theater, I knew what I was getting into. The bummer comes when Annie and Steve come up to Seattle from Santa Barbara for a surprise visit and I only get to spend a sleepy hour or so having breakfast with them.

And I get all worked up during rehearsals, which makes it difficult to quickly drop off to sleep when I get home. I’ve been thinking about using the book Chris and Greta gave us that offers 10 things that are almost guaranteed to hypnotize. Almost…

So I guess this was a really long winded way to tell you all I'm a little tired and cranky, but excited. Sorry, my 11th grade English teacher was right, I need to learn to get to the fucking point.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude-a-lude.
Not all swords are double-edged. The cutlass and the the Japanese katana are not double-edged. Hence, you can only cut your finger on one side of the blade as you run your finger along it to test its sharpness. Plus, when you jam it in someone's gut it gets pretty messy if you try to slosh around in their like you would with a double-edged sword.
See what I mean? I think that's an excellent analogy to what you were saying.
By the way, I totally burnt my ear with some Starbucks coffee the other day and want free coffee for the next 12.6 years.

Anonymous said...

Oh M!
If you put your ear up to a cup of coffee, you won't hear the ocean, you'll just get burnt.
silly.

Unknown said...

see!? they should have told me that at starbucks. why didn't they tell me? i'm suing!

Anonymous said...

That is the problem with people pulling suprise 16-hour-car-ride visits...

"Hey I drove two days to get here and surprise you!? Why are you so busy?"

"I am sorry that I want to have a life and not just sit at home waiting for your lazy ass to drive up here unexpectedly. Maybe you should call first next time."

Then again, ask my wife just how many surprise birthday's I have planned for her.

...oh, and swords are queer.