Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Drawn To Love

All of the Christmas time cartoon specials have reminded of something. Was it the uncharacteristic turning of children in "A Charlie Brown Christmas" to helping ol' Chuck make his loser tree into a thing of glory? No. Was it the Grinch realizing the true meaning of Christmas when he heard the Whos singing, even without their toys?

It wasn't, but this the made me think of The Who singing Magic Bus even though their presents were stolen. Never mind.

It was seeing a portion of "Frosty The Snowman" and remembering that I had a huge crush on the little girl, Karen.

Seriously, I was madly in love with a cartoon character; I always had a thing for blonds. And when the forest animals band together at Frosty's bidding to build a fire for her, not only did I wish I could be the one to build her a fire, but I was highly suspect of rabbits and squirrels and deer building a fire in a forest; it seemed a little unsafe.

Karen, I used to mutter, I can make you far happier than Frosty ever could. Let me assuage your fears; let me take care of you. You're just a little girl, and I'm just a little boy, and it's a little weird that you're hanging out with a pile of frozen rain, brought magically to life. I don't care if he has a happy, jolly soul or not, let me take you away from all of this.

Oh the longing I had...

This sort of embarrassing behavior continued when I watched The Little Mermaid when I was in college. I fell in love with Ariel; with sexy, sexy Ariel. It was the shot where she finishes singing Part of Your World and leaps up onto a rock while an orgasmic wave crashes up behind her. Man...

At least this time I was logical enough to realize that it was impossible to be in love with a cartoon character, that it would never work out. She was a princess, I was a poor film major. She was from the sea, I was from the real world. She was drawn with pens and inks, I was ridiculously high.

I don't even want to bring up the first time I watched Toy Story.

Suffice it to say... Woody.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Karen is a bitch

mandy said...

belle and snow white are tranny hookers compared to ariel.
straight up sea shell bra classiness.

Anonymous said...

my sister's first love was garfield.

garfield.

she changed her favorite food to lasagna for him. all of the sudden she hated mondays. she got very distant and languished in a small box on a table. after a while i didn't recognize her anymore.

chewbacca on the other hand. chewbacca was tender and valiant and clearly gave better hugs. chewbacca never humiliated his less intelligent friends. i didn't have to change my favorite food as a symbol of my devotion; chewbacca let me be me.

it was only until mr. T came into the picture that i lost the fervor of my first love.

Billy Badgley said...

Jenny, I always have this memory issue and it's funny that you've commented on.

I always want to tell people that you had a crush on Mr. T (because, somehow, that's so you), but I get mixed up into thinking that I've made it up. I worry I've pushed a quote from Sixteen Candles onto you:

Sam's brother says (in reference to Molly Ringwald's Sam) - "Who'd marry her?

Sam's sister answers - "Mr. T"

Anonymous said...

1. oh it was the T. make no mistake.

2. it's very sad you live so far away because it's midnight and i'm baking brownies. i would send them to you by slingshot if you were just a little closer. midnight brownie attack is my specialty.

3. while making said brownies i thought of your karen post and asked michael what animated character he would do it with. with nary a pause for contemplation: "bugs bunny as a lady."