Friday, December 29, 2006

It Does Make A Fiery Ring

This is my last work day for the year 2006. For some, that would be celebration enough. But not for me, I'm a whiny bitch. There are outside forces keeping me from doing a celebratory song and dance routine, complete with powder blue top hat and cane... Showgirl style kicks....

Outside forces - how I hate you.

I would like to be feeling a huge, flaming force of love; a giant, face melting sense of accomplishment for the last year and excitement for the year to come.

I would like for this moment to be like a hot kernel of flaming love, like a molten lava love flame in kernel form. I want for it to be like when you're plowing through a bowl of popcorn (and I mean good popcorn with lots of real butter and fancy seasoning and maybe parmesan), and you get to those hard corn kernels at the bottom that didn't get popped. But since you've eaten the popcorn so damn fast, that kernel's still hot and it burns your mouth when you shovel it in there with the last dregs of the bowl.

Except this kernel is flaming lava hot, so it hurts. It starts burning a hole in your mouth, through your tongue and eventually through your jaw. Because seriously, your face is made up of just flesh you know, that can't hold up to burning hot flaming magma love. And while, shit yeah, it hurts, it also kind of feels good because you're being singed and burned and mutilated by love.


Song Stuck In My Head Right Now: I Should Have Known Better by Yo La Tengo. In fact, I feel I should recommend the entire new album, I Am Not Afraid Of You And I Will Beat Your Ass, even if for the title alone.

3 comments:

mandy said...

in 2007...

your infant son will learn to smile more than gassy smiles.

he will start to laugh.

he'll say his first word. it might even be dada.

he will start to hold his head up.

he'll start to crawl.

he might learn to walk.

you'll both get to sleep through the night.

you'll be on the receiving end of fathers day.

if thats not one of them there flaming kernels of lava, i dont know what is.

Billy Badgley said...

that little bugger threw out a honest to goodness smile at me last night and it broke my heart.

Damn it, I'm hooked.

mandy said...

stop puking. write more.