Wednesday, December 20, 2006

I Heart I Heart Huckabees

I can't say what it is necessarily, maybe it's the fundamental understanding of questioning of self and the desire for an existential detective, but I love it all.
i_heart_huckabees
The performances all seem a little stylized, but somehow work. The script seems to bite off a bit more than can be chewed, but I admire the over-reach terribly. There is something wonderfully philosophical going on there, but I laugh hysterically every time I watch it - usually at completely different things than the last time I watched it.

There is an understanding that is achieved towards the center of the movie, that you can reach this Zen state of "pure being", but will inevitably be pulled back into the bullshit of human drama. Ain't it the truth?

This mad love is probably not helped by the fact that I seem to have taken on one of the character's obsession with the dangers of petroleum. But seriously, car emissions are more unhealthy for you than the secondhand smoke so many are ranting about, those emissions are literally destroying our planet, and they only reason we are involved in the wholesale slaughter of human beings in the Middle East is because we willfully refuse to let up on our gas consumption.

And while I'm ranting here for a second: There has been a wave of power outages up here in Washington due to trees blowing over in a storm and knocking out power lines. Somehow, this turned into a run on gas stations, with people waiting in lines for fear that they would run out of gas. Um? What does one have to do with the other, a rational person might ask. Well there are the people who are using gas fueled generators, and in areas where the power is out, as stations are unable to pump gas without electricity, but the lack of electricity does not at all hamper the tanker trucks bringing gas over our plentiful highways. And, if you need gas so damned bad, there is more than likely a working gas station within 20 minutes of where you are. It all smacks of people's gullibility into hording this precious, precious resource in the face of already manufactured price gauging. We're awesome...

Anyways, I Heart Huckabees, on my list of favorites. Marky Mark gives an unusually good performance, and there is a lot going on here that is worth getting to if you take the time. For some reason, Dustin Hoffman and Lily Tomlin repeating, "How am I not myself?" to Jude Law over and over again makes me laugh, and breaks my heart all at the same time.


Song Stuck in My Head Right Now: You Make Me Feel Like A Whore by Everclear


Confidential to "Betrayed in Kansas City": As the mighty Bono once said, "it's no secret that a liar won't believe anyone else". Consider it a gift.

1 comment:

mandy said...

merry christmas billy

http://www.elfyourself.com/?userid=1b6fef2b18f884c04f1a97cG06122022